Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Just A Few Omurice

As Part-2 to my last post, just a few Omelet and Omurice pics I wanted to share.

To start, a perfect wax model found behind a glass show window.

In this case a typical Odakyu train station restaurant somewhere in Kanagawa City.

We then fly across the Pacific Ocean and land in sunny San Diego, California.

Here you have the Spicy Omelet Rice at Curry House ($8.30). You can always count on Curry House to execute a visually representative dish.


However the taste to me falls short in the out-of-a-can flavor space, not surprising with the parent company's origins. It's not to say Curry House doesn't have a place in my heart. Just that if you make your way here I would suggest going for the funkier-playful offerings like maybe the Deluxe Fried Shrimp Curry (as for this subject of Omurice is concerned). You might as well flow with the fun family themed restaurant it is.

Curry House, 3860 Convoy St. #102, San Diego, CA 92111

Next I have pictured the Hayashi Omurice at Izakaya Sakura ($9.00 w/ soup & salad).


The rice is plain to offset the sweet Hayashi Sauce. The other versions though have the classic Chicken Ketchup Rice. All very voluminous.

Izakaya Sakura, 3904 Convoy St #121, San Diego, CA 92111

Third, a rather rare Omu-Offshoot, the Yakisoba Omelet. A Tuesday-only lunch special at Tajima ($9.95 w/soup & salad).


I was quick to snap and archive these in case the dish went away. But I hope it stays cause I was instantly made a fan. Generous amount of Pork and Kikurage mushrooms with sweet Okonomi Sauce and Mayo topping. You can imagine it basically as a deconstructed Modanyaki.

Tajima, 4681 Convoy St, San Diego, CA 92111

Finally just for the sake of comparison, two fine examples of a breakfast type omelet. Both completely yummy and very completely different.

The light and runny centered Omelet on Toast at a cafe in Daikanyama..

..versus the butter sauteed Snow Crab with Dilled Hollandaise Sauce - Mission Hills Omelette ($9.50) at The Gathering.

Dense and quite indulgent.

The Gathering, 902 W Washington St, San Diego, CA 92103

So there you have it, a post sprouting from being inspired by a two-and-a-half minute YouTube clip (or two hour movie depending how you see it).

Surely there are more Omu__ offerings in San Diego. You also have the Dashimaki Tamago which is a whole omelet subcategory to itself. These are just some I've tried and to be honest Omurice isn't usually something I go out of the way looking for.

The upside down fluffy one depicted in Tampopo I can honestly make and probably my best bet because I don't think runny omelets are really that popular here.
Just having not seen one outside of Japan, the closest maybe at a French Bistro (sans the carbo filling), it'd be fun to try and photograph one.

Would YOU like to be part of my Omelet Audubon Society? :)