Saturday, August 2, 2008

Lunching @ Torrey Pines Gliderport

Thank goodness for these toothpicked cherry tomatoes, a functioning anchor to this great but windy San Diego scenic locale, The Torrey Pines Gliderport.



If the sandwich were any more aerofoil shaped, it just may lift off with the amusement of a miniature Macy's Parade balloon.



Lunches certainly aren't always about the food. Sometimes it's about the company.. Sometimes about the drive. In the case of the Gliderport, it's all about the destination.

A quiet relaxing munch while enjoying the amazing views..



..and the entertainment of watching paragliders float away defying gravity.



Because although the food available here may suffice, they have retired their grill some time ago. While a better alternative may be to pack something or swing by Trader Joe's first, I hate to take away what business the small kitchen already has.



What would be really exciting though is a meal during mid-flight paragliding!



On a tandem flight with a certified pilot, my hands would be free, and with the many pockets on a flight suit I can easily sneak with me a Handi-Snack or two. :)



But until that day I enjoy my simple sandwich and bag of chips on a bench. And admire what a great job the toothpicked cherry tomatoes are doing as a wind anchor.

Torrey Pines Gliderport, 2800 Torrey Pines Scenic Dr, La Jolla, CA 92037

3 comments:

L'aura said...

Looks like an amazing spot for a picnic. Your photos look like they came straight out of a magazine. Don't underestimate the point-and-shoot!

Dennis said...

It's not hard I guess when the place looks picturesque in the first place but thanks! All my food shots in dark restaurants are blurry as heck though.. :(

caninecologne said...

Hi Dennis,
Very nice post that I finally read years later! Thanks for telling me about this place. Cathy and I had a nice time looking around (she'd been there before so she served as 'my guide' of sorts). I definitely plan to go again with the family and perhaps bring a bento or snack or something and watch the paragliders. your first shot of the sandwich is cool! great pix!