Friday, August 15, 2008

I'm Thrifty! My Two Dollar Neighborhood Steals..

Check out this Triple Scoop Thrifty's Ice Cream Cone I got!



Chocolate, Pineapple, Strawberry. Darn, this photo alone is worth $1.99 to me. :)
Was also the sole reason for inspiring me to write this post.



Very airy and creamy (air is a good thing for ice cream). It wasn't so much that I couldn't finish it but that I too quickly had a huge mess in my hands in the mid-August parking lot of Rite Aid.
Btw, I had no idea Thrifty was purchaced by Rite Aid in the mid-nineties.. I do remember a single scoop being much less than $1.19, but a Triple for $1.99 considering the quality and many choice of flavors, that I would consider a deal. You can also get a hand packed Pint for this same price.

Rite Aid, 3650 Adams Ave, San Diego, CA 92116

There were quite a few pizzas..

A fan of Bronx, I was eager to try their (only) two dollar offering of a slice of plain cheese.


Do not confuse this with your White with Feta or White with Pesto. This is your plain marinara and mozz cheese (amber colored from the sauce).



While it wasn't a bad deal, watching what others were having didn't make it any easier to have wished I spent an extra 50-cents for my favorites..

Bronx Pizza, 111 Washington St, San Diego, CA 92103

And while the extreme bargain $1.25~$1.75 slices at Fiori's was tempting to list, there was a clear winner in my neighborhood that I can say was a true steal for two dollars..

A slice of Sicilian Style Mushroom Pizza at Sicilian Thing Pizza!


Hot Crispy (and Yummy) Crust.. So Fresh tasting, So not greasy yet filling, So... GOOD!
I definitely need to revisit STP for their thin crust. If it tastes as good as my Thick Square Sicilian Style, they are my new favorite neighborhood pizza place.

But being run by such cool chill guys as these..


I'm already a fan. :)

Sicilian Thing Pizza, 4046 30th St, San Diego, CA 92104

The secret of the Fish Tacos at El Zarape has been out for some time.


Hot, fresh batter-fried fish and crisp veggies at 99-cents each, two of them makes a fine meal for two bucks.



Includes all these tasty condiments that are free.
By the look of the erasure marks on the chalkboard menu, prices of other items seem to be creeping up. Hope these stay cause filling up on my also favorite Scallop Tacos will leave me hurting.

El Zarape, 4642 Park Blvd, San Diego, CA 92116

The even more infamous Two Buck Chuck.. But I was surprised to see this bottle of White Zinfandel..


I didn't know there are now Eight types to choose from! Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, I always knew.. but White Zinfandel, Shiraz, limited quantities of Beaujolais nouveau, and Pinot Grigio..? Since I always wanted to familiarize myself with the last half of the list, for a $1.99 I could now easily try a few. Charles Shaw for President!



Trader Joe's, 1092 University Ave, San Diego, CA 92103

And I almost forgot. An In-N-Out Cheese Burger ($1.95)


I personally like mine with Ketchup instead of Sauce and a slice of raw onion.
But if you choose to, you can have it Animal Style with Extra Pickles, Sauce, Grilled Onions and patty fried with Mustard..



No it's not pretty. It's an Animal mess. But it always amazes me when I think the option doesn't cost any extra.

In-N-Out, 3102 Sports Arena Blvd, San Diego, California 92110

So just a quick early survey for now. I like my posts bite-sized but I guess not my Ice Cream! :)

3 comments:

Thien-Thao said...

Hey Dennis!

Bronx Pizza has always been a local favorite of mine! I have a lot of foodie news about eating out in San Diego that I would love to share. Is there an email address I can reach you at?

Dennis said...

Thanks Thien-Thao!
I'm very new to this blogging thing.. If you like to swap links let me know and I'd be more than happy too! Cheers.

L'aura said...

That's one heck of an ice cream! Good info about Bronx too-I'll get around to it one of these days.