Sunday, October 26, 2008

Wi-Pho'ing @ Cali Baguette Express

You probably won't guess where I was having breakfast while surfing the web this morning..

Cali Baguette Express off of El Cajon Blvd. Yes, with their early morning to late 9PM open hours (they are no longer 24-hrs), a drive-thru (same hours as the store) and available free Wi-Fi (sort of), you can say it is one of the more modern day Banh Mi joints in town. The only convenience K-Sandwiches has over them is accepting credit cards. Cali Baguette is still cash only.



Mmm, Banh Mi. Banh Mi's to me personally are in a category of Foods that are like Pizza.. I consider them either good or great, and occasionally maybe I'll run into even an excellent one. But I have yet to encounter a truly bad slice of pizza or Banh Mi (knock on wood). ;)

Most BM's here are under $3. So far I've tried their Cali Special and BBQ Pork. I thought both were good but again after my disclaimer you can take it for what it's worth.



But how can a flaky Baguette stuffed with sweet pickled veggies, thin slices of hot peppers, fresh cilantro, special spread and your choice of meat(s) with a dash of Maggi salt not be a good thing?



My first experience with an Egg Banh Mi (which I considered excellent) was at Cafe Dore and you can read about it here. The version at Cali Baguette I had today is scrambled ($2.59). I also got two Vietnamese egg rolls (smooth wrapper) and an Iced Coffee. My entire meal was just over $6.
The eggs were very fluffy and ever so slightly runny, the way I like. I noticed they've cut back on the mayo-like spread. Fine with me, I liked it either way.



So the interesting part was the Wi-Fi. The network's name was Cadao and after asking the cashier it is indeed Pho Ca Dao's but supposedly shared. Unfortunately the signal proved to be a bit weak and intermittent so I didn't stay long but now I'm very curious about Pho Ca Dao next door which I have never visited. Are people in the restaurant enjoying a bowl of tasty Pho while spread out with their laptops and extension cords?? If so that would be quite the bomb.

Cali Baguette Express, 5125 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego, CA 92115

4 comments:

edjusted said...

Interesting. I eat banh mis all the time and I've never seen an egg banh mi before. Now I have something new to search for. Thanks!

Dennis K. said...

Hi Edjusted glad to hear! I only discovered the Banh Mi a couple years ago and the egg version relatively recently myself. Mmm, I'm getting hungry..

Thien said...

Hey wanted to stop and tell you what a great job you did with this review. I found it to be very informative yet enjoyable to read. Makes me want to try a banh mi and see for myself. Keep up the great work.

Dennis K. said...

Hi Thien, I'm not a reviewer per se but I know what you mean and wanted to thank you for the compliment. Just talking about stuff I ate.. Thanks again. :)