Thursday, May 14, 2009

Reflections @ Walmido

Having my blog's one year anniversary coming up next month I've been naturally reflecting many thoughts over it. This also meant that to finally meet Kirk of mmm-yoso for lunch couldn't have been a better timing perhaps. I finally got to meet the person whose blog opened new food experiences for me here in SD and beyond. The brief exchanges of why we do what we do and the fact that our shared passions came from different sources was great and even inspiring.

Though I could hardly be called a regular at Sammy Sushi with the few visits I had made last year, I was glad to see Sam again but this time at the helm of the sushi bar of Walmido performing his skillful craft that originally made me an immediate fan.

Sorry not many photos this time but there will definitely be more to come during my future visits to Walmido for sure.
We started with the Gyeran Jjim which was described by Sam as a Korean Chawanmushi. The description couldn't have been more perfect for me. I actually loved this better in ways by two-fold. The fluffy whipped-like texture and great stock flavor. A photo next time for sure for my sake anyway.

The Hwe Dup Bop was the main and a main it was. Baaam.



A giant raw fish dish that also consisted of fresh veggies and over rice (yess) chirashi style that after a good dowsing of Cho Go Chu Jiang sweet/hot sauce paste made it a great party of flavors that worked my salivary glands into overtime.. YUMM.

This was all so much fun. Maybe next time I'll even have the chance to try the live octopus. I'm so glad to have started this. :)

Walmido, 4367 Convoy St, San Diego, CA 92111

8 comments:

KirkK said...

Hi Dennis - Happy Blogga-versary! It was a pleasure meeting and sharing lunch with you. Thanks for sharing your delici-yoso endeavors with us. The Missus loves the Rayu....I know you're much too modest to mention that.

Dennis K. said...

Thanks Kirk! Same here. :) I need to post something fun for the actual day.. Glad the Missus liked the Ishigaki-jima Rayu. I may eventually do a "What's on my rice" post on it, haha.

meemalee said...

Hey, you're my two favourite bloggers :)

Also, I can't believe you've only been blogging for a year, Dennis!

Dennis K. said...

Wow thanks meemalee, that means a lot.. I'm feeling better about my more recent posts but I cringe when I go back and look at some old ones. I ended up adapting a tongue-in-cheek style cause it helps me enjoy posting more. Otherwise the writing part will just totally stress me out! :)

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Kirk is the best! He inspired me to start blogging too!

Dennis K. said...

Hi WC! I didn't know about that. Yes Kirk was even more fun in person. The hour went by so quickly!

cabcooks said...

I think Kirk has inspired a lot of people to start blogging, like me, too.

I'm finally catching up on some of your older posts, Dennis. Keep up the great work!

Dennis K. said...

You too? ;) Thanks again!