Sunday, July 19, 2009

Thinking About The Heat - And Other Ramblings

Sorry, never made it back to Mitsuwa SD's Kyushu & Okinawa Fair this weekend after all.. The heat has been sucking my energy but to make things worse I was lacking sleep today due to a skunk visit the night before (I have no AC and I couldn't open any windows!).

Lately though, I've been also thinking about the BTU kind of heat..



My wannabe factor has been at an all time high wishing for a jet burner set up like at restaurants.. You can get them ported for natural gas or propane but I was warned that I may burn my house down. I surely wouldn't want that to happen so I'll probably end up with something more like this..



Fully cranked I hear that this 5B can produce 100,000 BTU's. Not bad for $65. Still I'd want some sort of better heat control lever/valve than those tiny bottle caps.




I found this at Taisun Wholesale located right next to Super Cocina off University.



Taisun Wholesale, 3615 University Ave, San Diego, CA 92104

I'm debating between that and a +$20 model from the same manufacturer that had an electronic igniter (and even slightly higher BTU's, not that I need it to go any higher) at Chef City.

Chef City has moved btw from the Convoy location to a much bigger building off Clairemont Blvd. A block or so East of the court house.



Lots of fun browsing of commercial grade restaurant equipment. You won't find All-Clad or Henckel knives here but Dexter cleavers and Eagleware. I always thought these were all very beautiful in their completely utilitarian and non-design designed ways.



Chef City Restaurant Equipment and Supply, 9150 Clairmont Mesa Blvd, San Diego, CA 92123

Then during one of my heat submissioned FoodTubing sessions at home I found this really cool video titled "What's for lunch in Japan?". A peek at a typical Japanese school (I'm guessing High School) lunch hour and their bento meals. Unfortunately embedding was disabled so the link here.



Wow, I totally wished this was a series! I would totally love to know what a typical lunch meal is in say.... Mauritania, Kyrgyzstan, or Balize (Ok, I googled "obscure countries"..) Maybe a little Sesame Street-ish but still.

Finally as I ease my way into the topic of Sesame Street.. ;) Not food related but I thought the expressions of the kids on this vintage "What is a Computer?" clip too cute not to share.



The faces and responses to the question priceless! And funny how I can totally put names of people I know next to each kid.. :)

4 comments:

KirkK said...

Hey Dennis - Check out T&L, they have some good stuff as well. You'll need a strong stand for those burners. 100,000 BTU's is kinda overkill....I have my hands full with 65,000....

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kirk, I'll definitely check out T&L, thanks! I also liked these flat cast iron burners cause they're great for boiling large quantities of water. I see a possible ramen party in the future.. :)

Masa Assassin said...

I always pass by Chef City but Im always afraid to go in, I have no restraint when it comes to shopping :P Thanks for Sharing

Dennis K. said...

Hi MA! I know what you mean.. There's some raw industrial looking stuff here but I'm totally fascinated by it.