Sunday, August 23, 2009

Lunching @ Golden City

I've been swamped and slowly working my way through this post off and on. Gosh has it been three weeks already?? Thankfully CAB at CAB Cooks recently had posted on the lunch at Golden City but since I have never written about GC I thought it'd be good to share what I took as well and add a few more while I'm at it from a previous visit about a year ago.. Kirk and Cathy from mmm-yoso and Sawyer from Mother May I completed the lunch group.

Below is my "after" to my "before" photo teaser a week ago.



Peking Duck was the first main to arrive and although I can't remember the exact price, I was told for lunch you get the two course meal for a great deal. I looked through GC's online menu but couldn't find it there. Anyway, everything listed on this post reflects this special lunch price.



The lovely lovely almost peanut brittle like crackly crispy duck skin.. Sweet, savory and delicious.



It's been a very long while since I had this (which I think then was my first). CAB and Kirk both showed me how it was typically done but it was Kirk that suggested doing the double "Big Mac" version with two pieces of the duck skin. Sounds good to me!



A small Henderson Muppet like steamed bun is smeared with hoisin sauce while you then add some scallions and finally the crispy duck skin to create a small sandwich. My memory is coming back now and I think I had my first Peking Duck with a translucent white tortilla like wrap.. But either way I don't think it's hard for anyone to imagine how good this can be. And there would still be the second course part of the meal coming later.

I kinda jumped ahead but the starter fried egg rolls (shown behind the fried wonton skins) I really enjoyed. It had the nice pillowy air pocket that I like that let's them stay extra crispy.



The hot sour soup had a nice extra tartness kick for me and I enjoyed it a lot too.
The individual bowl of steamed rice for some reason I had to snap a pic of but that's nothing new for me. I liked the almost cartoon like perfect mound it was. :)



The Kwai Fei Chicken ($6.25) won my heart immediately in a big way. A cold chicken dish with a lightly gingery spice flavor. It was good enough to be eaten by itself..



..but was definitely even better with the grated ginger type dressing. I'm pretty sure I'll be having this again very soon.



Below the awesome rice complementing pork meal. Referencing back to the online menu I think it was the Roast Pork ($6.95). (Correction, it was the Steamed Pork with Preserved Vegetable with the same price.)



It was quite up there in the guilty scale but in a very manageable way where the fat was rendered very well. Fall apart tender. My mouth is seriously starting to water at the moment..



Also the drippings (with the preserved vegetables) looked so good that I had to try it over my rice. You can say I felt very comfortable and at home around my lunch companions today. :)

I knew I missed photos of at least two dishes. I forgot the Fish Fillet with Black Bean Sauce ($6.95). A portion I scooped for myself is pictured on the North end of my plate below. (Gosh am I a complete nerd to point that out or what?..)



And the second I think was a Pork with Radish dish (Correction, this was the Beef Stew w/ Daikon Hot Pot, $6.25) shown toward the left. Both were very very good. The second course of the Peking Duck had arrived and looked like so..



A minced duck meat stir-fry with a few other ingredients, I think water chestnuts were one of them.



Nestled in cups of fresh lettuce leaves, I thought to myself in theory a mini salad which helped me ignore some of the unctuous duck fat my plate caught as I bit in. Great texture and flavor. If this were served off of trucks, Kogi beware! ;)

I saved the only dish this day that I didn't fight anyone over to let me have seconds of for last..



The (pork?) intestines. (Update: Kirk says the dish was Pork Intestines with Preserved Vegetable.) Mysteriously also not listed anywhere on the menu, it was prepared the same as the Fish with Black Bean Sauce and wonderful in that sense but the intestines themselves where definitely an acquired taste.. I wonder if grilling helps rid some of the distinctive offal note because I have enjoyed intestine at various BBQ joints in the past..

Since I'm out of pictures that must have been the extent of our feast. And the bill was very reasonable where I think it came up ~$17 per person including tip. Very affordable.

Posting just a few more lunch dishes I had from about a year ago..

The First Class BBQ Chicken ($11.95 for a half).



Looked beautiful but unfortunately the meat was extremely dry and seemed deep fried at one point. The sauce that was ladled over the chicken was great but it wasn't enough to recoup the dryness. Also came with a slice of lemon and what seemed like a type of flavored salt.



The Yang-Chow Fried Rice ($7.95), I must have had a starch craving which isn't unusual.



Shrimp, BBQ Pork and I think also with minced sweet Chinese sausages. It did a good job of hitting the spot.

Pork Pan Fried Dumplings ($6.95). I can't remember much about them which maybe says they were good but fairly standard.



And the last, the lunch's complementary Egg Drop Soup. Had a good amount of veggies including baby corn and I thought a worthy option if not in the mood for the Hot and Sour.

So wasn't the most adventurous choices but I had a good enough meal to want to come back. I just never quite got the chance again until now. I'm really glad I did but especially with a GC veteran like Kirk doing the ordering. If you check out CAB Cooks' post on the lunch you can find all the hyperlinks to the many previous Golden City visits on mmm-yoso.



Ending with my second Peking Duck serving. Yum.
Hope to have something to share again maybe next weekend. Thanks for visiting!

Golden City Restaurant, 5375 Kearny Villa Rd, San Diego, CA 92123

15 comments:

sn00glez said...

Don't ever feel dorky when it comes to food! Food is life! lol :D

Always have loved reading your blog posts, they always leave me hungry, and have even inspired me to do some cataloging of my own! Keep up the good work girl!

K and S said...

that peking duck looks really good right now!

KirkK said...

Hey Dennis - I had a blast with you all. The pork belly dish was steamed pork with preserved vegetable, the intestine dish was the pork intestines with preserved vegetable. Hope to do this again soon.

Kirbie said...

Beautiful pictures! I really want to try the duck now...

Jenne said...

Wow, Dennis, you are making me hungry and I just had breakfast!! That all looked amazing.

I've never been to Golden City but I think I'm going to have to check it out sometime soon!

cabcooks said...

Hey Dennis! I think the pork intestines is listed as "Deep Fried Crispy Pork Chitlins" on the Lunch and Late Night menu. It's also on the table placard as a speciality, if I recall.

Damn it, now I'm craving GC again. And that duck!!!

meemalee said...

Ooh, looks awesome!

You can get those muppety buns (best description ever) with pork belly here, but I've never seen them with duck :)

Dennis K. said...

Hi sn00glez! Thanks for the compliment. Photo-documenting meals is fun! I wish I have done it all my life. Miss the drawings my dad would make for me drizzling honey on toast. :)

Hi K&S, seriously!

Hi Kirk, this was really great and thanks for ordering for us again. Thanks also for the info, I'll update the post. Btw, do you remember what the pork with daikon dish is called? I'd like to order that again as well!

Hi Kirby, thanks! It was a bargain for what you get.

Hi Jenne! My first experience with GC was good but not great. It's nice to know now a few "winner" dishes thanks to Kirk. :)

Thanks CAB! Man, this place maybe has too many menus, haha.

Hi Meemalee! I was just thinking I had those in the past with pork belly too! Hope you had a great trip, looking forward to all your posts!

KirkK said...

Hey Dennis - That was the Beef Stew Hot Pot.

Dennis K. said...

Thanks Kirk!

caninecologne said...

hi there!
ooh, duck skin! sounds delicious! i love fried skin (chicken, duck, pig!)!

Dennis K. said...

Hi CC! Believe it or not (this Totally True) I once wanted to grow up to become a chicken skin taster. Where do kids come up with these professions???

caninecologne said...

hi dennis - that's so cool (and funny). i bet somewhere in the world, someone is actually a "chicken skin taster"!!!!

Cathy Doe said...

This was lots of fun and food, Dennis. Glad to finally have met you. Great photos!

Dennis K. said...

Hi CC, you know I totally believe you! But I would hate to tell the person their life expectancy though.. ;)

Hi Cathy, it was! Same here and it was fun talking. :)