Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Lunching @ Mister Sushi And Some Updates

Hi all, a few updates..

I've been on a personal blogging hiatus of sorts and I didn't think it was a big deal going offline until I realized that Kirk (being a natural hub of SD food blogs) was getting emails on my behalf of people inquiring the status of A Radiused Corner. Oops, my bad and apologies for this inconvenience.

So I'm back online now with the Feed function disabled for the time being. On a lighter side I've added a few green dots to my Dots template background. Weee. It's subtle but hope you like. And while I continue to sort things out I wanted to quickly share another meal I had recently.

I first lunched at Mister Sushi quite a long while ago. A rather understated but cute little place along PB's Garnet drag strip. Great people and sushi (lunch menu here). My recent revisit I noticed they hadn't fallen into the 50% off bandwagon in these challenging times which is nice.

This day I had some Ikura (surprise), the La Bamba Hand Roll (sounded appropriately very Cali/Mexi/Japanese), and a special of the day Kohada (Dotted Gizzard Shad).



The gunkan Ikura hit the spot without surprise but the La Bamba hand roll actually exceeded my expectations for a "funky roll". Spicy chopped tuna with avocados and cilantro and other ingredients I'm not able to remember at the moment. I'd imagine something called the San Diego Hand Roll would be something similar except Uni should definitely be involved in one named such for sure.

Ordering the Edomae classic Kohada from the specials board made me feel very cool, haha. :) This fish is always served as a very light salt/vinegar marinade.



I imagine it's not for everyone but I personally really enjoyed it. To my amature taste buds it reminded me of shime saba but at a quieter volume. A nice to know is that I read that the Kohada is deemed a sustainable fish so have at it, though I believe we're at the trailing end of its season now.

The Kisu (a very delicate white fish) Tempura, was also good with a light crispy batter to match. The bonus Goya bitter melon tempura was because the Missus half of Mister Sushi is from my island hometown and we've exchanged conversations of this fact in the past.



But Hoo-wee, was the thick quarter sliced goya bitter! I still really enjoyed it though and I honestly couldn't remember the last time I had goya. It was a really nice gesture.



The Mozuku salad was another free dish (my Okinawa status is in full effect here). Slimy seaweed goodness with a sweet tart light vinegar dressing. I asked about if they would ever do a Mozuku tempura which they are looking into.

Other meals I've had in the past where I remembered to bring my camera.. (These photos are almost two years old.)
The No. 18 Roll was very good and if I remember correctly priced also ~$18. A bit on the high side but for what you get I felt worth it. Described with Spicy yellow tail, shiso leafs, tempura, caviar, with spicy tuna on top, and special sauce.




The moist and flaky Hamachi Kama (broiled hamachi collar) is available as a lunch set (with rice, soup and salad) and I remembered being quite satisfied at the end. The robust flavored dashi made the Agedashi Dofu something I can really enjoy to the last spoonful.

Aside from the special treatment (haha) Mister Sushi is really my kind of place. Good food in a nice but unpretentious environment. Next time I promised the chef to sit at the counter. I know my photos won't turn out as well there but I'd definitely make the occasion when the Itamae requests me to do so.. Wouldn't you?! :)

Mister Sushi, 1535 Garnet Ave, San Diego, CA 92109

14 comments:

KirkK said...

Welcome back Dennis!!!! BTW, I love kohada, to me it has a fairly pleasurable milkiness to it.

Sawyer said...

wow that all looks great. i think i know where this is too heh. this one of your favorite places for sushi in sd?

Kirbie said...

Welcome back!! I was wondering what happened to your blog!

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Welcome back! You were missed and we all worried about you.

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kirk, I think Kohada is so beautiful looking! I'm not a big vinegar fan but this was subtle and I really enjoyed it.

Hi Sawyer! PB is a bit out of the way for me so I'm far from a regular. But mister sushi is one of my favorite spots in SD for sure. :)

Hi Kirbie! Thanks, just took a small break.

Hi WC! Thanks, and I'm going to take up on your Sheng Jian Bao meet one of these days!

caninecologne said...

hi dennis and welcome back! even Wandering Chopsticks was wondering what happened to you and asked me, but i told her to ask kirk...i think she ended up emailing you.

glad you are back to blogging. i've always wondered about this place. that's the cool thing about reading food blogs - you can find out about places you've always wanted to try or have never tried...i still have to go to the Lumpia place in Linda Vista (they also serve Cuban food there)---hope all is well with you!


word ver: ginger

Dennis K. said...

Hi CC, I've been meaning to comment on your Hot Doug's post. SO JEALOUS! Both places you mentioned are probably 'if I happen to be in the area' spots for me but I'm sure you'll get a kick out of Rocky at the lumpia joint if you get to meet him. :)

K and S said...

was missing this post in my reader...mozuku tempura is one of my favs, hope you can get some soon :)

meemalee said...

Hey, I was really worried about you mister! It was when you didn't comment on my Gundam post that I thought "Where on earth is Dennis?"

Missed you :)

Dennis K. said...

Hi K&S! I'm guessing there's not much to mozuku tempura but would you have a recipe? Finding the thicker Okinawan mozuku would be here though..

Hi meemalee! Thanks.. I'm kinda 50% back but I'm back. Loved your Gundam photos!!

K and S said...

I have a recipe but have never tried it...

Mozuku Tempura from "Okinawa Churaryori" by Taira Tomi
Serves 4
200 grams mozuku
2 eggs
1 small can of tuna
70 grams flour
2/3 tablespoon water
1/3 teaspoon salt
frying oil

Wash mozuku, drain well, cut into bite sized pieces.
In a bowl, combine the egg, flour, water and salt.
Add the tuna and mozuku to your batter.
Fry up in 180C oil.

**You may want to omit the tuna or just do it for half.

Dennis K. said...

Thanks K&S! The tuna does sound a little odd so I'll probably leave it out. It's getting much cooler these days so frying tempura doesn't sound like such a bad idea.. :)

Jenne said...

aw, why disable the feed? :-(

anyway, nice to see you back!

Dennis K. said...

Hi Jenne! The feed is actually back but on "Short" mode. Anyway, thanks!