Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Omurice Drama - And Other Ramblings

Omurice Drama, in the literal sense...



This clip from Lunch no Joō (Queen of Lunch) is a bit long but if you're an Omurice fan, TV food nerd, or both, you probably wouldn't have too much trouble watching through the entire seven minutes (in Japanese but with decent subtitles). I still warn it's a bit yawning during some parts, specifically when they're just talking and making corny facial expressions. But that's how I feel about Asian melodramas in general maybe, haha. (The video was deleted so uploaded another version..)

So I had my second Omurice on Sunday taking Kat of Our Adventures In Japan's suggestion as an inspiration and used curry powder to flavor the rice. It turned out I had a bottle of it way in the back of my cupboard after all.. I had to give it a good *wack to use it if you know what I mean.. :)



The ad hoc first on Saturday ended up having me attempt my first Tampopo method but this second was the more popular (but still a fun challenge) roll-wrapping method.



Visual execution a B-, but the flavor a solid B+. Never underestimate the powers of the curry powder (Turmeric, Cumin, Pepper, Ginger, Coriander, etc, etc, etc..). Again aside from the seasonings the only ingredients were fine diced onions and carrots.

Cooking wannabe thought of the week:



I want to make my own (Japanese) Demi Glace Sauce. Step one, buy a big a** pot. Step two, take a week off of work. Working on step two.

Things I purchased but yet to try:



Dry Fish Powder! Which I think is very similar to what was used in Santouka's Awase-aji Ramen. I will soon find out. Kuro-Goma (Black Sesame Seed) Pudding. I bought the box and a quart of milk. Just need to make it.

But the coolest discovery was this here special packaged nori to make your own to-go Onigiri with fresh crispy crackly seaweed.



I'm definitely going to have fun with this.. :)

13 comments:

K and S said...

I loved that drama and was excited when they came out with a cookbook thinking that they would share a recipe for homemade demiglace but was disappointed that they used store bought (so I didn't buy the book)....your omurice looks wonderful :)

KirkK said...

Hey Dennis - Back home they make this with Fried Rice, and call it Fried Rice Omelete.....

cabcooks said...

Ooo, I'll be waiting to read how you like the dry fish powder. And your omurice deserves a higher grade than B- on visual, btw. ;-)

Jenne said...

Ooh, special onigiri nori! I'm going to have to get some of that ASAP.

Dennis K. said...

Hi K&S, I was only half serious about making Demi Glace but I'm very curious! From what I understand it's an unimaginable labor of love, not to mention a lot of the ingredients byproducts of running a restaurant kitchen (collecting drippings, etc). But I wish there was a way you can make it yourself, in say, a slow cooker though. That I can leave on all day without worry. :)

Hi Kirk! I might of seen that at Leilani's PB. I should try it next time.

Hi CAB! The omelet I used the same (teflon) wok that I used for the rice so it turned out a rounded oval shape and not the pointy football that I want. I don't know if it's a guy thing but I'm usually more into technique aspects of cooking and not so much learning recipes, haha. I'll let you know about the fish powder!

Hi Jenne! Yeah, it's the same stuff they use for the ones you purchase and assemble! Getting the rice to be the right size and shape might be tricky but think about the free reign in the types of fillings (and not skimping either), hehe.

K and S said...

like the drama, I think it took DAYS! if you find a recipe, you should try to play around with the slow cooker idea, might be worth it :)

Mike said...

Thanks for putting me on to Lunch Queen - we're going to watch the first episode tonight. I really enjoyed Shota no Sushi, so I'm hoping this one will be similar.

Dennis K. said...

Hi K&S, I think it might be worth a try. Though I feel you require a light boil to rid some of the kusami from the bones. Maybe it's possible to start from the stove top but end with the crock pot?

Hi Mike! I never seen both shows in its entirety but curious, are you renting them from netflix?

meemalee said...

I think my favourite bit in Tampopo is the Omurice scene :)

Mike said...

I haven't seen them available for purchase anywhere. Even if I could find it, it wouldn't do me any good since I don't speak Japanese.

I've been watching the fan-subtitled versions. You can watch them on the web at mysojou.com or download them from d-addicts.com.

K and S said...

a recipe, for reference

Dennis K. said...

Hi Meemalee, definitely one of my favorite scenes too! I sometimes wonder what it'd be like to be fed omurice by a homeless person, haha. And the other homeless wine sommelier person was awesome.

Thanks Mike! Darn, I wish I knew about them before my last very long air flight. Next time I'll be prepared!

Thanks K&S! I also found this which seems closer to the video but takes ONLY 6hrs, haha. It seems the twist in the Japanese take is adding a bit of soy sauce, sake, and ketchup right before serving.

K and S said...

so Japanese-y with the soy, sake and ketchup at the end!