Friday, October 30, 2009

Fast Food Friday - White Castle

My first genuine (not microwaved at a gas station) White Castle experience was in Michigan a couple of years ago. I was so excited! Because though a silly movie had given them more notoriety some years back, my original curiosity for the place ran deep thanks to a great story telling friend from the East Coast during my formative years. He and his stories (at least the way he told them) were that of great movie making.



The iconic storefront. This one looks fairly new. Wonderful in a medieval meets Bauhaus school of architecture kinda way.



Before going into the infamous slyders our group already noticed things were done a bit differently here at White Castle. In fact a bit backwards. The the onions were of wedges.. Very tasty wedges I should mention. :)



And the chicken products instead were rings. Huh. As with the signature five holes in their slyder patty, my guess was that this would make them fry up quicker(?). While the novelty of just looking different could be a reason, with a place officially named White Castle Systems, Inc., this was the better logic I could come up with.



The burgers are in its own individual little box containers which is probably the best part of the whole experience for me. My heart rate rises slightly with butterflies by the sight of these.



Probably not the best for the environment but boy are they CUTE.



The buns seem to naturally steam a bit in the boxes with the square perforated patty, grilled onions and a slice of dill pickle. I have to say I enjoyed my first one. I think I even murmured a subconscious "mmm," haha.



But three seems to be the magic number here. Especially when eaten fresh the steaming seems to disguise some of the grease and by my fourth White Castle I was pretty much done. But don't let this stop you from getting the Crave Case where 30 of them comes packed in it's own nifty cardboard box with handle. I'd like to have the opportunity of purchasing one one day to see if the experience is as satisfying as when I walked out the Apple Store with my brand new MacBook this year. I bet it's right up there. ;)



As with the standard slyder the best part of having the cheese version for me was the branded yellow orange box that it came in. Condiments galore but we didn't use any (except ketchup for the crinkle cut fries).



A few more photos from the field trip.




Coupons are a big thing here as well. Castle Cash!



The recipe page on White Castle's site was pretty entertaining. Breakfast Surprise, White Castle Souffle, White Castle Pot Pie, and Castle Enchiladas to name a few..



..while Mr. Dave of Ridiculous Food Society's recipe for the White Castle Casserole that he got published on This Is Why You're Fat is a definite notable mention as well. Jealous!



Canine Cologne's Hot Doug's and White Castle in Chicago post here which was what actually inspired me to do my Fast Food Friday series. Darn I now can't wait to go on a road trip soon. Thanks CC!

Hope you all enjoyed these as much as I have. :) Not sure what's in store for next week but Happy Halloween!

14 comments:

K and S said...

I have always wanted to try these burgers, guess I'll have to make a trip to the mainland one day soon :) thanks for sharing your foodie adventure!

caninecologne said...

hi dennis - i was disappointed that i didn't get to see neil patrick harris on a unicorn at white castle. instead, we get an almost ghetto fight. ha ha.

great post - you are so thorough!

if we didn't eat at hot doug's first, we probably would have ordered more at white castle...

ha ha, the word ver is:
flobama!

cabcooks said...

Those little burgers look so good! I've only had the store bought version.

Dennis K. said...

Hi K&S, our visit was definitely more for the novelty. I also I forgot the price of them but they were cheap!

Thanks CC, just being my usual nerd self. The cause of that fight was lame!! Poor old man. Glad the kids got kicked out. Driving out in that general direction sounds scary in December but I still really want to do something. :)

Hi CAB, they were little grease grenades (with a time delay and all, haha). Speaking of store bought I tried a BUBBA patty the other day from Target. Mmm juicy! Definitely not bad in a pinch. :)

Sawyer said...

i finally got to try these burgers last year in new york. always wondered how they tasted after watching the movie. they are nice little bite sized snacks, but overall i thought they were just okay.i had some raised expectations because the movie made it look so good! i didn't noticed the onion wedges and chicken rings though...i'll have to try those next time i'm there.

caninecologne said...

hi again - oooh, a Bubba patty! Sounds so redneck!!!

Dennis K. said...

Hi Sawyer, yeah maybe it's one of those things you have to grow up with. The cool boxes left me a stronger impression than the slyders themselves, haha. I wouldn't go out of the way for the chicken rings. Basically a McNugget shaped differently (there were many jokes about them when I google searched).

Hi CC, they shape Bubba patties irregulary but they are exactly irregular the same way. I agree with CAB and I find it nice to have in the freezer for emergencies. I used a skillet with ridges to rid the excess grease.

KirkK said...

Hi Dennis - White Castle is one of those phenomenons... they always taste better at two in the morning after you've over-indulged on alcohol or xxxx..... otherwise they are major grease-bombs.

cabcooks said...

Maybe White Castle burgers taste better under certain circumstances (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). Not that I would know anything about that. :)

Glad you tried the Bubba burgers. I have to pick some up since I am now without a stove.

PekoPeko said...

Wow, I haven't been to a White Castle in ages. My grandmother thought that they were the greatest things ever. (I was not convinced!)

KyotoFoodie

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kirk, explains why they were pretty dead when we arrived in the afternoon!

Hi CAB, I've been out of a stove for a long while now too. I have to say I miss it. It also kept my house warm in the winter! haha

Hi PekoPeko, that's way too funny. At least you have a reason for not covering it on your wonderful blog there, haha.

Masa Assassin said...

haha cool stuff I remember my first time at White Castle I ordered one. They said "sir are you sure only one?" I soon reliazed I could put down a six pack of these.

Dennis K. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dennis K. said...

Haha, hi MA hope you're doing well! Yeah these things are teeny. I can probably do six if I ate them really fast. ;)