Sunday, November 1, 2009

A Meal @ College Billiards - Rolando

I've been really curious about this place for a long long time..



This wonderfully illustrated sign in particular had been taunting me..



So I finally decided to do something about it this weekend. College Billiards Center is up there past Goodbody Mortuary.



I'll cut to the chase but unfortunately I found that the days of the 1/2 pound One's A Meal Kingburger and Daily Specials were sadly gone. Darn! Was told by the very friendly bartender (later to discover also cook) that the Hamburger ($4) now was a 1/3 lbs patty.



But what I did find was a great chill spot to rack up some games. Dang, these guys were GOOD. Most brought their own cues. I always wished I could play a better game of pool..



The fryer at the time was cranked up to crisp up nachos so instead of onion rings I opted for two Beef Tacos ($1.50 each).



The tortillas were fried so I thought it be best to try these tacos first before they cooled down. Overall a bit dry including the beef, though it was flavored well and I thought all the condiments were fresh. The salsa verde was the best part of these. Very spicy jalepeno hot. In fact I used some of it on my burger later.



The burger certainly wasn't bad but the sign outside really makes you expect something special. It just made me wonder more what the College Billiards Center Kingburger really was back in the hay day. If I had access to the keys of a time machine I would use it to document noble causes such as these. Wasn't exactly a hidden foodie spot but I love College Billiards Center for the chill dive that it is. *CLACK*

College Billiards Center, 5303 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego, CA 92115

7 comments:

KirkK said...

Hey Dennis - You should've asked me about the place before you went... it's pretty bad.

Dennis K. said...

Haha, yeah I definitely wouldn't be going out of my way to grab a bite here. I liked the vibe of the place though and might come for a game someday.

cabcooks said...

That place reminds me of Hungry Sticks in Clairemont. Ah, memories from college life! I had chicken fingers there once that was raw in the middle. Ahhhhh, good times!

Dennis K. said...

How wonderful! haha.
The people here were very nice. It's just that big burger sign outside! I would've loved to have had their Kingburger back in the hay day with a game of nine-ball.. :)

caninecologne said...

Ah, memories of SDSU in the late 1980s and early 90s. I remember driving by Goodbody Mortuary (what an unfortunate name) on the way to the now defunct and gone Tower Records. I wonder if Woodstock's Pizza is still there?

Dennis K. said...

Hi CC, aw man, I totally miss Tower Records period. They had a pretty cool rental movies section.

Georgie Caye said...

Cool, I just posted about this place on my blog: http://www.sandiegofoodblog.com/2011/05/kingburger.html

Glad to hear the strange sign struck you as well.

GC