Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Wednesday Onezies - I Like Food, Some More Than Others

I felt these photos would lie dormant in my album much too long if I didn't do something with them soon so sharing tonight while they were still somewhat timely.

I've eaten at this Coco's before usually when in the mood for a breakfast type meal for lunch. But the other secret reason is that I love watching people eat while I eat, especially the elderly. I'm not sure exactly why. There's something calming about it (yes I'm a weirdo).. But anyway, Coco's is the prime place for this.



This day the Double Prime Burger ($9.99) peaked my interest. The patty was so so in that it was juicy but oddly also on the tough side. I think what I enjoyed the most about it were the buns that were buttered and griddled to a nice crispy edge. The tomato bisque soup of the day was not very memorable (and was not part of the burger meal if I remember correctly).



Coco's (Restaurant & Bakery), 4280 Nobel Dr, San Diego, CA 92122

Facing opposite to Coco's in the same center, a Roast Beef Sandwich I had a couple months ago at Bristol Farms.



I've been a semi-regular for quick bites since they opened a couple years back. They pretty much replaced Whole Foods for me. I just feel for about the same price the hot deli at Bristol Farms is much better. Anyway this day my sandwich was really good! Very moist with uber beefy flavor, creamy horseradish sauce and caramelized onions.. Pretty much anything I wanted to stuff in between was fair game except maybe avocados or bacon which I'm sure would be extra.



All on a moist sandwich bread of your choice.



And while the close to $12 price felt steep at first, this actually included two side choices from the hot deli.



Garlic Chicken Wings and Scalloped Potatoes. I know what you're thinking.. but I planned on them to be a late afternoon snack which it was along with the other third of the sandwich that I couldn't finish. They carry Itoen's Oo~i Ocha green tea and are usually nice and chilled. :)

Bristol Farms, 8510 Geness Ave, San Diego, CA 92122

How I found Bangin' Burgers last week was completely random. I had given up on the sight of the looooooong 805 Fwy on-ramp line returning home and decided to head a few blocks East and rest a bit at a Starbucks off of Miramar Rd.

I found Bangin' Burgers in the same mall..

..and took these photos as a reminder to try them next week.

The interior wasn't too different to a typical sports bar with suspended flat screens and pool table but it somehow had a vibe that they were definitely more interested in the food they served than the entertainment which I liked.



I had what was on their specials board, a 1/2 lbs. blue cheese burger with caramelized onions and dijonaise ($6.50).



Condiments are provided buffet style (ala Fuddruckers) at a side booth. The onions on the burger were wonderfully sweet caramelized and the blue cheese not too overpowering.



The sesame seed buns used could've held things together better but weren't bad (much better than Western Steakburger's buns which fall apart). The patty seemed a medium ground 80/20 which was nice but if I had to be picky, a hotter griddle to sear to the outer would've sealed the juices better and also enhance the beefy flavor even more so, even for one with a medium rare doneness that I had asked for.



Still for the price I thought this was a pretty good burger. In fact a Bangin' Value. I'm pretty sure I'll be back again.



Unfortunately for the wings it might've been an off day but they were extraordinarily salty and also a bit dry on top. I'll be sticking to the burgers next time or maybe try one of their hot dogs. Sounds like a good plan. :)

Bangin' Burgers, 7070 Miramar Rd, San Diego, CA 92121

Philly Grill I finally visited after living in North Park / Hillcrest / University Heights for almost nine years now. The shame! Passed by this place who knows how many times.



Nice and cozy inside. The lady that took my order was extremely friendly.



It was cash only and I only had eight dollars and change on me so I went for their standard Philly Cheesesteak. Comes with White American Cheese unless you specify differently (Cheez Whiz or Provolone are options).



The thinly sliced rib-eye used was grilled nicely and very juicy. The toasted long roll was surprisingly soft and made it easy to munch through the entire sandwich but also held everything together well. The pickled hot and sweet peppers I thought helped cut through some of the thick gooey cheese and I was glad I had asked for it.



If I had to be critical maybe it could've used a tad more steak for its price but other than that I really enjoyed it. Another spot I'd definitely wouldn't mind revisiting (with more cash on hand).



Philly Grill has odd hours but since I'm trying to watch my weight maybe not such a bad thing for me..

Philly Grill, 2041 University Avenue, San Diego, CA 92104

I saved the most oddball for last but I've unexplainably found myself at Great Khan's Mongolian a few times recently for a meal before heading home in the evening. I think it's the lamb that I'm craving and the fact that this place is quick helps.

My usual picks are some pork mixed with lots and lots of lamb. I use the draped napkin squish method where you compress the frozen curly meats like a compactor to make more room for your veggies.



On top of the meats I'd pile a ton of onions, a few mushrooms, bell peppers, some bean sprouts, green onions, and a Big Ol' Heaping heap of cilantro for me, thank you. The plastic fork on my tray above may give my accomplishment this day a better sense of scale.(!) They then add the noodles to this. I'm not too picky about the sauces cause it seems no matter what I choose it ends up tasting more or less the same, haha.



Great Khan's Mongolian, UTC Mall Food Court, 4545 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA 92122

Hope you all enjoyed these. It was fun not having to compile older photos for a change, sometimes up to two years back. I have another Fast Food Friday post coming up for the end of the week. Hope you all are having a great week. Cheers.

6 comments:

K and S said...

mmm everything looks yummy :) speed reading over "fuddruckers" made me see a different word :0

cabcooks said...

I've driven by that Bangin' Burger for so many years and have never stopped in. Burger looks huge.

It's been a long time since I've been to Great Khan's Mongolian. Confession, love Great Khan's. Something about cramming as much food in a small bowl to get my money's worth. And I enjoy the noodles and the sauces. But you're right, no matter what I get with maybe the exception of the hot sauce, it always tastes the same. I think it's because of the sauce they pour while on the cooker.

KirkK said...

Hey Dennis - You know, I was just getting a post ready on Philly Grill! Not a big fan of their Cheesesteaks, but the Italian Sandwich is not bad. Gotta get the hot peppers on them. BTW, I still have not set foot in a Coco's.....strange as that may seem.

6p0111689463ef970c said...

Everything looks tasty! The roast beef at Bristol's looks especially delicious. I need to try it sometime. I love their garlic wings. I want to try Bangin Burger now.

Dennis K. said...

Hi K&S, haha! Are there any in Japan? I know there are TGIF's..

Hi CAB, actually I think the theme of this post was all about confessions! :) I'd way rather have Great Khan's then Panda for sure. I think we need more fast food joints that serve lamb. Anyway, Bangin' Burgers had a grand opening sign when I went but I wonder now if it were just new management?

Hi Kirk, you're definitely not missing out on anything at Coco's! Except if you secretly enjoy watching seniors eat like I do, haha. I knew you posted about that Mexican place that serves burgers next door to Philly Grill so I was wondering. Looking forward!

Hi Kirbie, the big piece of roast beef that they carve from looked pretty good so I ordered it. I passed on it today cause it looked a bit dry. But then again they had turkey and traditional stuffing which was hard to pass up for me. :)

K and S said...

not that I know of and I think only recently did Osaka get a TGIFridays.