Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wednesday Onezies - Sabrett Hot Dog Cart, Genessee And Clairemont

February 2010.. I had a Home Depot errand to run during lunch early this week which in these parts used to mean a quick bite at EZ Take Out Burger but I was more than ready to give Vallarta Express (that had taken its place) another try. I then spotted this Sabrett cart at the Mobil station off of Genessee and Clairemont on the way over...



Funny I never noticed it ever being there. I got the New York style (regular but you have a choice of spicy) which comes with the lovely red onion sauce and mustard. It's been an ancient long while (over 15 years) since I had a Sabrett in Manhattan and once at that. The lady who ran this SD cart was really friendly and someone you can easily strike up a convo with.



The buns were fluffy steamed (almost too hot to hold for a few secs). Unfortunately the natural casing dog felt a wee bit waterlogged and the all important snap that I was looking forward to was faint. Otherwise it was nice and salty in a good way and I found the smooth texture of the meat also a pleasure.



I also enjoyed that sweet tangy cooked onions in tomato red sauce and was glad I had chosen the spicier deli mustard. Still the $2.50 price had me feeling a little steepish. Many fish tacos would bring me change for two. A buck-fifty would get me a jumbo dog And a drink at Costco.. If at the IKEA snack bar I can fetch five of their 50-cent (but mediocre) smaller dogs, not that I would ever want to do that but, haha.



Perhaps a close to a New York dirty water dog experience is still worth it. Or judging by this talk thread maybe any inconsistencies are authentic after all?? In any case I have a feeling I'll be back to try the chili.. I hope my next dog would have a better snap. :)

Sabrett Hot Dog Cart, Mobil Station corner of Genessee and Clairemont, San Diego

8 comments:

K and S said...

yummy! I could go for a good COSTCO dog right now!

KirkK said...

Hey Dennis - I've usually seen the Sabrett cart there most on Wed-Fridays. I've never been impressed since the dogs seemed very "Hebrew National" if you know what I mean.....

Dennis K. said...

Hi K&S! Do they have the crank onion and relish dispensers in Costco Japan like they do here?? I love it..

Hi Kirk, I think I can buy a Sabrett umbrella online for my porch table if I wanted..(!) I'd like to believe the cart is using the authentic franks and maybe suffers from lack of high circulation.. In any cause the $2.50 price for me was a little steep knowing for 50cents more I can have an In-N-Out double-double.. :(

K and S said...

I haven't been to the Japan Costco in awhile, will have to check the next time I do :)

Sawyer said...

nice report dennis! i suppose for a no nonsense hot dog it seems a little steep, especially when you think about what else you could get for that price, but i'm thinking it would be around the norm in the city...so you got an authentic experience in paying as well! =p it's hard to beat the costco combo..

Dennis K. said...

Hi K&S, if you do I'd love to read about it on your blog! Like would they by 150yen I wonder... :)

Hi Sawyer! So Sabrett's are around $2.50 in New York too? I guess Costco has spoiled me then! :)

Darlene said...

I agree that dogs should have snap. I've seen that hot dog cart on the way back to work usually from Target to Nijiya. They don't seem to have a regular schedule but I'll try to drop by and get a dog to see if I have a different experience.

Dennis K. said...

Hi Darlene! Great, I'd love to know what you think..