Sunday, March 14, 2010

Another Random Taco Truck Post - La Princesita, Rolando

I seem to be on a taco truck roll but I don't really go about seeking them out. Came across this one (technically a trailer) that I couldn't help ignore off El Cajon Blvd just past 50th St. The cart was lit up and flashing like a carnival stand and not having dinner may have been a big contributing factor but I was uncontrollably drawn to it like a moth to a porch light.



Located in the Autozone lot next to what looked like a Mexican pastry shop with a grand opening sign (darn now I feel I should've at least stepped in). Upon closer inspection I noticed the truck was a La Princesita. I remembered the name on one or more of Kirk's posts.



My interest in Lengua (tongue meat) had re-sparked recently so I thought I'd try a couple and another two of Carne Asada.



A bit brisk this night.. But taking a few photos while I waited listening to Mexican music in low-fi was pretty entertaining.
My tacos came ($1.50 each) packed to the brim with meat (undressed). You just couldn't eat one without having a few chunks fall out onto your plate. The carne asada had a nice marinated flavor with some grilled crispy bits but the job of trimming out the gristle wasn't done well. It was kind of a roll of dice with each bite. Some very good and others hard to chew. Luckily I have a good set of chompers.



The lengua was tender enough but I somehow didn't care too much for the texture. Looking back, for a first time visit maybe I should've tried more varieties. So I decided to return the next evening where a second visit was never part of my plan (these parts at night can be a little sketchy).



And I did love the self serve condiments idea. Green guac sauce, roasty red salsa, green salsa, pickled carrots, a sliced red onion mix, chopped raw white onions, cilantro, radishes.. and this night also sauteed onions.



You know if they just served me some warm tortillas I might be able to make a decent veggie taco with them all....



They were out of Cabeza, and they didn't serve Carnitas. So I had Pollo, Pastor, and another go of the Asada (thinking maybe it was an off night the evening before).



I didn't hold back on the condiments this time. :) They lightly steam the tortillas by quickly dipping them in water and placing it on the hot griddle. I personally prefer this over the light frying in oil, while one fully steamed is even better, but anyway the chicken was moist and decently "tough bits" free. The pastor I thought was about the same. The steak was much better then the day before but still not completely immune to the tougher connective tissue. Not the greatest tacos I had but not bad ones while the full condiments bar I think is the very neat attraction to the "La Princesita taco truck business model" if you will for me.



The area is a bit out of the way so my visits were strictly out of curiosity. If you're in the area and hungry it might be worth a stop, but again these parts at night can be a little iffy, just a Fyi. The cart operates between 4PM until 11PM.

La Princesita Taco Cart - Rolando, just East of El Cajon & 50th

7 comments:

K and S said...

despite the gristle...mmm!

Dennis K. said...

Hi K&S, I was thinking they give you enough meat here that with the tough bits excluded it would've still been a generous portion for a taco.. So they just need to spend a little more time on prep work maybe. But yes I still had a good time. :)

Masa Assassin said...

Mexican music in low-fi was pretty entertaining! haha love it

Michael said...

Who doesn't love a taco truck? great pix by the way..........

Dennis K. said...

Hi MA, I was only saying the truth! haha. Loved the tiny rabbit ear TV in the trailer..

Thanks Michael!

caninecologne said...

too bad there was gristle - but those tacos still looked pretty good!

word ver:
mifyingl

Dennis K. said...

Hi CC, even a premium Tonkatsu pork cutlet needs a little gristle severing attention here and there...