Saturday, April 24, 2010

Two Meals - Saturday 4.24.2010 - Tacos El Gordo No. 3, Point Loma Seafoods Part 2

Dinner tonight was at Tacos El Gordo (No. 3) in National City. It's probably been about two years since I last visited.




Most memorable this night was the Cabeza Taco..



Super duper moist, unctuous beefiness.. The tangy green tomatillo salsa was perfect to cut through the fatty fine chopped mystery meatness it was. So good.



Above the lightning fast person who made my delicious Cabeza taco, and to the right the Asada taco that was created by an equally proficient team.. The asada was a wee bit chewy but only by a little, had great flavor with some smokiness that I enjoyed.
Next the expert fellow who created my Adobada Taco..



Yess.. The adobada's marinade seemed to have a nice light fruity flavor and I liked the way they were cut in thinner slices.. The single thicker tortillas were good. Some were cooked with a little more grease than others but all good.



I always liked how the different tacos here seemed to have their own specific toppings. The light sour creamy avocado-ey pistachio colored 'Guac sauce' on the adobada is a little hard to describe for me but I think went really great with. The previous asada came with some guacamole and salsa fresca.



Didn't have Lengua today. The last were in huge chunks and I usually prefer mine chopped finer. I may try them again one of these days since I did remember enjoying the flavor.




If you haven't been here before, the counter is divided by the type of meats offered. You walk over to each section and order one by one. Pay at the register when you're done, or as we did keep a tab open.

I think there are a few exceptions on the menu but all the tacos today were a $1.85 including this Azteca. One that includes grilled nopal cactus with your choice of any meat (shown with chicken).



Wasn't mine but the friend who had it said it was great and I should try it next time.. I will! :)
..Maybe with the Cabeza or Adobada..



I can't remember if the smaller TJ-style tacos here were always priced a little on the high side but for me definitely tasty eats that's worth the few extra change and the drive down.. :)

Tacos El Gordo No. 3, 1940 Highland Avenue, National City, CA 91950

I didn't know I'd be returning back to Point Loma Seafoods this soon after my recent Fish & Chips post but I had left it up to my friend who was driving to pick a lunch spot and this is where we ended up. No complaints from me though.. :)



Was more like a light afternoon snack that included.. [Zooming out to the full picture..]



Heinekens on draft. Ceviche ($4.18), I had the Crab & Shrimp Combo Cocktail ($7.40) and a cup of Red Chowder ($3.25).



Really fresh stuff. I had to have on hand extra of their freshly made cocktail sauce because I love it so much with that horseradish kick. I want to take a tub of it home with me.



The cocktail may not look like a lot but considering it's all protein it was a pretty filling snack.



Tried the red chowder out of curiosity. A nice lighter tomatoey version of the creamy white style that I was used to and also great with small potatoes and many other vegetables. The seafood wasn't visually recognizable but it was definitely there.



I had a taste of their Ceviche and it was really really great. A very bright tartness and was so fresh, I know what I'll be having next time. Cathy of mmm-yoso had also recently done a revisit post on PLSF that could be found here.



A few more pics..



The photo didn't come out well but I was startled by a giant and curiously friendly seal that hangs out in the waters by the dock..



PLSF. Definitely not a bad spot to chill while nibbling on some extremely fresh seafood.



BTW, does anyone know what species of trees these are? They have a really weird spongy bark. Balsa? Cork?



Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Boy the weather has been funtastic.. :)

Point Loma Seafoods, 2805 Emerson Street San Diego, CA 92106

7 comments:

K and S said...

tacos look good. we used to call that tree a "paper tree", not sure if that is the correct name though.

Michael said...

"Super duper moist, unctuous beefiness.. The tangy green tomatillo salsa was perfect to cut through the fatty fine chopped mystery meatness it was. So good".

Big D, I can totally relate to that..good food and funny stuff.

cheers

fliu said...

The Crab & Shrimp Combo Cocktail looks so good and fresh! Did you think the price was decent? What's your take on the Pt Loma Seafood vs El Pescador (in LJ) or the Fish Market (Del Mar/Downtown)? I use to get the seafood cocktail at the Fish Market and always thought it was 'meh' and overpriced. But love to hear your thoughts on the cocktails at El Pescador and Fish Mkt :)

Nice post!

Sawyer said...

tacos el gordo is awesome. i think i ate 10 tacos the last time i went there. major midnight munchies. it was a far drive from la jolla, but so worth it. i'm jealous of all you sd people hahah =p

Dennis K. said...

Hi K&S, thanks for the info! 'Paper Tree' does make a lot of sense. I see a few of them planted along the pier here..

Ha, thanks Michael! I've been starting to slowly enjoy the writing portion of blogging. It's never been my forte unfortunately.. :)

Hi Fliu! To be honest I feel everything is a bit pricey at PLSF but at least they do give you quality stuff. I'm not a big shrimp cocktail person but decided to try some this day. I prefer my raw seafood with soy sauce and wasabi, haha. But I feel that yummy cocktail sauce can make anything taste good! :) Anyway as much as I enjoyed it I'll probably not get the cocktail again but definitely the ceviche..

Hi Sawyer! 10 tacos is umm, a Lot! I can probably do five if I'm really hungry.. I'm not sure where the other two El Gordo's are but I think this is the closest..?

Cathy Doe said...

Hey, Dennis! I never had the shrimp cocktail at PLSF, but you are correct- that horseradish-y sauce is wonderful...that's why we get some smoked fish while waiting for our order. I think the quality and freshness here is better than the other fish markets. PLSF started out only taking in and canning the fish from the boats docking out front...the 'charge' included that PLSF got to keep some to sell...then they started cooking it. Frying, actually...wonderful, perfect frying... :)

Dennis K. said...

Hi Cathy! Thanks for the background of the place.. We need more SD food bloggers like you! :) Unfortunately didn't see soft shell crab on the menu but I need to come back more often definitely..