Saturday, May 22, 2010

I ♥ Cleveland - Part 2 - Old Fashion Hot Dogs And Dari Delite

Excited to share a few more bites I had in Cleveland recently. Old Fashion Hot Dogs was right up the street from Steve's Lunch in Part 1.. I honestly didn't know I'd be consuming this many hot dogs during my Cleveland visit. It was great though and I really related to the casual and affordable bites they were to maybe like having quick taco fixes down here in San Diego.



I thank the stop light that turned red at the right moment, also the car ahead of me that helped align myself exactly perpendicular to OFHD and made me notice the place, and I even thank the drizzly weather that further got me in the mood to drop in..



The amount of adorable cuteness I was surrounded by at Old Fashion Hot Dogs was so overwhelming that at one point I thought my brain was going to explode.



I did think whether eleven photos to describe a single hot dog experience were going to be too many.. But this also turns out to be one of those humble blogging attempts of mine when I so dearly wished I was more eloquent to be able to describe in words how I felt about a place.



The name may speak for itself but OFHD would be a hot dog joint that seems to have not changed since I would guess the 1950's and '60's. With the very narrow footprint, the dogs are grilled right up against the window. I'd be curious to know how long they've been operating.



Seats are aligned along a long counter, classic coffee diner style. The jokingly but nice gentleman at the place was totally open to me photographing (anything I wished), in fact he gave me a few suggestions like the one taken above. :)



I again just missed a crowd as I entered and practically had the entire place to myself by the time I had ordered. A single chili dog with slaw ($2.25). The chili had a similar sans beans meaty consistency as the version at Steve's. The grilled dog here helped with some extra flavor.



Came with the standard onions and stadium mustard, but the optional Slaw really made it for me like it did my first polish boy. Its sweetness takes the place for ketchup or relish and is a great match with the meaty/savory chili in my opinion. The bun doesn't seem to be steamed but is kept warm.



I ♥ everything about Old Fashion Hot Dogs. I wish I could somehow squeeze it in a plexi display container so I can admire its timeless cuteness over my mantle next to my few Gundam figures.. Yes I did mean the store itself, haha, but a wax replica of my chili slaw dog could be just as cool I guess.. ;)



Old Fashion Hot Dogs, 4008 Lorain Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44113

I found Dari Delite in the back streets of the same neighborhood as I was about to call it a day and head back to my increasingly comfortable sounding hotel bed.



I was planning to just take photos but I ended up ordering a single vanilla cone ($1.65). Googling later I found out DD is open only seasonally between May through October.




Darn that burger illustration on the sign looked really good too. Next time! :)



I honestly can't remember the last time I had a soft serve.. Yumm.



Dari Delite, 4401 Bridge Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44113

I hope you're enjoying the series. I only have a couple more!

6 comments:

caninecologne said...

hi dennis - nice shots of the hot dog on the counter (great angle) and the cone next to the sign! :)

K and S said...

is adding the slaw a cleveland thing? glad you were able to try different places :)

kaszeta said...

We need to start comparing notes, since you hit two more places that I had scouted out. :)

cabcooks said...

Based on one review of OFHD on yelp, it's at least been there since 50's and not changed. If I was to open up a shop, that's what I would want it to look like!

Dennis K. said...

Hi CC! Thanks I had a lot of trouble editing out photographs.. I was just in love with them all! :)

Hi K&S, I think slaw dogs are a Southern thing, maybe not specific to Cleveland. Here's a great article on regional styles of hot dogs..

Hi Kaszeta! I think for me this may have been my last business trip for the rest of the year, haha. But if you make it out to Cleveland please check out Dairy Delux off Puritas Ave (not too far from Hopkin's Airport). An adorable place much like Dari Delite but has a tiny dining area. Took photos but never made it back to grab a bite! :(

That's awesome CAB! What would you serve at your shop? I wish there were a casual shop that just sold Cioppinos.. :)

K and S said...

thanks for that link, very informative :)