Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Radiused Corner Blog - Two Years Young!

I started my blog exactly two years from today, Weehee!

My very first post was a so-nerd-of-me how to fold a crane chopstick rest out of the paper sleeve. Definitely wouldn't have guessed that my blogging inspiration man himself Kirk would be first to comment within a day's time. Kirk could very well be the NORAD of food blogs!? haha! ;)

I don't have anything fancy prepared today like last year's first anniversary post. I haven't had time and I'm honestly barely able to post this tonight but a sort of an extended version of one of my Two Meals post maybe.. A ho-hum recollection of an ordinary Tuesday that was to be June 22nd, 2010. Yay.



A friend's errand at IKEA brought me to Mission Valley for lunch. I love their meatballs with gravy (oh gosh I have way too many photos of them..) but I was in the mood for a quick Hot Dog meal at CostCo and the erranding friendster agreed.



They were renovating the food area so there was a moderate line along the two make shift registers. They were also only serving the hot dog, polish dog, and salad. The wait actually wasn't too bad.



I got one regular and one polish. $1.50 each including a drink as I'm sure most my local readers know about. Looking back I should've asked for a single soda cup since the second went to waste.



Anyhow, yes condiments are plentiful here and bottomless. Personally I go for some mustard (evenly distributed along the whole bun), a lot of relish (the pump here was harder to manage), and a cheeky amount of chopped white onions (Crank it baby! And btw, I did not make that mess on the counter..).



Never really compared the two dogs but flavor wise was kind of a bummer that it was hard for me to tell them apart. May have been partly due to all of the condiments I piled on but I typically expect the Polish to be more herby and spicy. Did hit the spot though.

So. I haven't been updating my MOS Burger re-creation project lately but my most recent trial a few months ago I felt I was the closest to date in re-creating MOS' "meat sauce" utilizing this here Kagome Brand - Hamburg Nikomi Sauce pack with a peeled and seeded fresh diced beefsteak tomato. I did use a little Japanese Brown Stew (ビーフシチュー) concentrate and also a teeny bit of Japanese Miso as a hidden ingredient (the use of miso was admitted by the proprietor Mr. Sakurada in one of his books (that I just knew all along! hehe)).



It still wasn't close enough to my satisfaction and I tell you there may be a few blogs out there that claim they have re-created the recipe to MOS' sauce but I CAN GUARANTEE that they have not. On a separate (honestly true) side note, a close friend I just talked to today in Seattle claimed to have eaten one yesterday that traveled 11-hours in a friends hand carry bag. DANG. Would you have risked that potential tummy ache??? I don't blame you, but I have to say I would've and am very jealous of said friend.



The Chibakiya's instant ramen was on sale today at Mitsuwa and I purchased a few. I believe this series was created through a collaboration between Mitsuwa Market and Chibakiya and so you will only find them here. I personally feel its regular price at $2.99 is a bit steep for the size and fill and the often seen sale price at $2.49 may be a more fair value.. But at a $1.99 I'm ready to stock up. Both varieties of the Shoyu and Shio soup have a wa-fu flavor (from a much nicer liquid concentrate pack and not dry powder) that I crave and can only find as a convenient instant on a regular basis in this brand. And now re-creating a cup version of my beef tongue gyutan shio could be fun too..(?) :)



Swung by Sanseido Bookstore before leaving as usual. Found this magazine doing a special on Oyakodons...... H*ly cr*p!!! These looked so freak'n delicious!!!



The humble Oyakodon. And look at all the variety in egg texture, chicken, broth, cooking method and presentation style.



Btw, no photography allowed here! I promised I'd be purchasing this magazine tomorrow, the 23rd when I would get double stamps. Sanseido on days numerically ending in three - 3rd, 13th, 23rd gives double stamps.

I picked up dinner tonight at Nijya Market. The bentos they have been creating especially in the last year have been really great. In San Diego I now feel Nijiya by far offers the best quality and value in take out Japanese bento lunches. I stand by this statement on my second Anniversary blog post. :)



I bought the Udon Tempura bento along with a small shabu shabu salad.



Hit the spot craving one for a while after I had watched this Sanuki Udon DVD several weeks ago...



Available on Amazon or your local Japanese rental DVD shop. A note for it not to be confused by the original Udon Movie (which is great as well)..

So this post ended up a lot longer that I had planned but thanks to everyone who had commented with kind words of encouragement and supported me along the way.
At the time I tried to come up with the most un-food blog name that I could, but I'm happy to know there are people out there that seem to enjoy my quirky nerd posts. It's been really fun and looking forward to another fantastic year! Cheers.

21 comments:

K and S said...

happy blog birthday! love your posts :)

btw, if you can read japanese they have a mos-style sauce recipe here.

Mary said...

congrats on your two years! i don't even know how long i've been blogging. crazy. here's to more foodie posts! :)

Dennis K. said...

Hi K&S! Thanks so much for the award you gave us!! As for the MOS sauce I remember that page link. It's unfortunately an over simplified version.. Thanks though! :)

Hi Mary! Thanks and to you too! :)

K and S said...

no prob :)

Darlene said...

Happy Anniversary!! Keep on eating and posting,

BTW: Have you noticed that Costco no longer sells Hebrew National at their food courts?

KirkK said...

Hey Dennis - Happy Blogga-versary! We need to get together and celebrate soon.

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Happy blog birthday! Kirk was my inspiration too. Did I say that last year as well?

Two hot dogs! One is more than enough for me.

Mike said...

Congrats on two years, Dennis. Looking forward to year three!

Michael said...

happy blog-o-versary!! I like the new look.

Kirbie said...

Happy Anniversary/birthday to your blog! I can't believe it's been 2 years. I feel like it was only a few months ago that you posted your one year. Kirk was my inspiration to start blogging too.

Vicki said...

Happy Blog Birthday! Look forward to year 3 :)

fliu said...

Happy Anniversary ! Your blog is always so fun to read. Thanks for taking the time time to post stuff :)

Does that costco sell the gelato now?! The one in Poway does now! I swear it was like $1.50 for 3 scoops of gelato in a waffle cone. Something ridic like that.

What is a shabu shabu salad? Sounds awesome though.

Again, congrats on 2 years!

caninecologne said...

hi dennis- happy 2 year blogaversary to you too! and kirk's blog was also the reason i started blogging! :)

love your blog and your thorough posts!

Dennis K. said...

Yikes sorry for the terrible writing guys.. I was really in a hurry to finish last night!

Hi Darlene, thanks! No I haven't but they still had Hebrew National umbrellas and signs plastered everywhere..

Hi Kirk, thanks again! Yes we must!

Hi WC, a hot dog for each year.. So next year I'll be having three! ;) Yes I remember you telling me. Kirk really has been an inspiration to many food bloggers!

Thanks Mike!

Hi Michael, thanks so much too!

Hi Kirbie, yeah time flies when you're having fun! :)

Thanks Vicki!

Hi F, oh no I love pistachio gelato... that sweet savory thing. so good. I haven't seen them selling gelato but maybe that's a good thing for me. ;) But who knows after the renovation. There's a salad at Nijiya that has poached thin slices of pork with a sweet goma sesame seed dressing. I really like it. Anyway, thanks!

Hi CC! I just post a lot of photos and ramble, so I don't know about being thorough.. haha. But thanks, I'm really glad you enjoy them! :)

caninecologne said...

hi dennis
i meant thorough in that when you post about a certain kind of food (like cioppino, pizza, ramen, etc), you really check out a lot of places just to compare...i mean this in a good way! :)

Sawyer said...

congrats dennis! what, no wax models of your favorite dishes at sakura? lol. i remember once in sd i was at costco and a worker chastised an old lady for filling up her soda cup with onions.

you still supping? i saw a sup guy today and was reminded of you. makes me want to get a waterproof camera now. i bought a short board recently and i'm loving it! (even if i eat it most of the time).

cabcooks said...

Happy 2nd anniversary!!!

Dennis K. said...

Hi CC! haha, I knew what you meant of course.. :) BTW, I'm curious how you resolved your max data google account the other time. Did you just create a new account? I'll email you later..

Hey Sawyer, bejeesus I wonder what that older lady was going to do with all them onions! I guess the condiments are fair game as long as you're piling them onto your meal and not some tupperware you brought along haha.
I'm thinking of starting up supping again since the weather is getting warm now. Been too busy or tired for the morning thing though, but looking forward in purchasing my own board soon! :)

Thanks CC! We all need to go eat again soon!

meemalee said...

Congratulations on your Second Bloggiversary, Dennis, and long may you continue!

Btw, I meant to say - I LOVE the new design :)

x

Dennis K. said...

Thanks meemalee! I may not comment often but I really enjoy reading all your fun stuff!

Liz said...

Happy Anniversary!