Friday, July 2, 2010

Spaghetti Ramblings..

I've been quite busy and feeling like crashing early every evening but wanted to post something quickly since I can sleep in some tomorrow...

Tonight sharing one of my many favorite visual meal pleasures that I find so delightful in its simplicity. A standard plate of spaghetti with meatball. :)



Found myself in PB for dinner recently and at Filippi's Pizza Grotto of all places. My recent SD re-transplanted friend and I have been taking turns visiting old time food haunts and this evening I guess it was his turn to pick.



FPG is a popular family owned San Diego Italian-American chain. I've only visited the original Little Italy location a long while back when I first moved down here.



This chain is quite popular and I hope some won't hate me for saying but I personally find pasta dishes at Italian-American restaurants in general to be a little watery for my taste. Like it'd always make me wish I could douse a healthy serving of extra virgin olive oil over my entire plate for starters. So long story I thought the dish was a little bland, though it was also somewhat expected.



But because of this maybe the true reason behind my attraction to American spaghetti (aside from appearance, haha) will become apparent. This would be the heavy use of the dry, also relatively not very flavorful (American) Parmesan cheese in a bottle. My crafty friend beat me to the idea of unscrewing the cap on the shaker and pouring directly. I copied suit right after even though I was supposedly done dressing mine.. ha. ;)



The pasta was a bit overdone, also not too surprised.



The meatball had a nice baked crust on the bottom but it was a little dry on the inside. The dish was ok. Adequate for $8.25. I definitely much prefer Volare's version.



Before I ever sound the least snooty though which I never hope, my own childhood Japanese influenced Italian experience that I hold dear to my sentimental heart (and admit in craving once in a while) is a spaghetti dish that they wok up with ketchup and butter. Just saying to put things in perspective. ;)



This night birthdays were celebrated and pizzas were devoured in large quantities by large partying groups. I had my over Parmesan'd spaghetti and meatball fix and all was merry.

Filippi's Pizza Grotto, 962 Garnet Ave, San Diego, CA 92109

3 comments:

kaszeta said...

As simple and low-brow as it is, I like getting Spaghetti and Meatballs at good Italian places to see if they can do a good job with it. If they can't, I probably don't want anything from the rest of the menu, either.

K and S said...

that is one BIG meatball!

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kaszeta! I know what you mean.. If it's a place with good reputation and they have Cioppino on the menu I might order it out of curiosity. But otherwise spaghetti and meatball it is. But from experience if the place serves me olive oil and balsamic vinegar with the bread, I'm bound not to find meatball on the menu at all! haha.

Hi K&S! Beautiful isn't it? :)
I've since been researching the origin of spaghetti with meatball and there seems to be a controversy. Although it is definitely an iconic Italian American dish it seems difficult to say it was invented here.