Sunday, October 17, 2010

Lazy Rainy Day Sunday: Tan Ky Mi Gia (Rolando) Re-Revisit

Man this weather has been acting on me like Kryptonite.. I did manage to read a little. I've been sitting on Jay Rayner's 'The Man Who Ate the World: In Search of the Perfect Dinner' for a while now and finally picked it up again. Thought it was a little lame that the title was so similar to Jeffrey Steingarten's 'The Man Who Ate Everything,' but it's been alright so far.



I was planning to go to Hoai Hue after Kirk's comment of their Bun Bo Hue, but I was craving some Roast Duck after reading OkiHwn's most recent meal this morning..
I ended up at Tan Ky Mi Gia further down the street (in the Pho Ca Dao complex). I haven't been back in a while due to some inconsistency issues with the soup but the Roast Duck (which seem almost braised here) is usually very moist and tasty.

I usually order my Lucky No. 13 - Roast Duck Noodle Soup ($5.50 $6.50), with choice of Egg Noodles. Full menu here, but prices have gone up about a dollar across the board so please take note.



The duck had a lot of flavor as always but this day it didn't seem to have as much meat as in the past and was rather on the fatty side. But the drippings on the plate are great which always makes me wish I had a small bowl of rice with but I usually end up pouring it later in my soup. So my same RDNS ritual.. taking the particularly fatty pieces (my plate also came with the bird's fatty tail) and letting it rest in the bowl after some prodding with chopsticks to let the oils and umami out.



The amber colored soup here is usually tinged a bit green. I'll be curious to know why. In any case after a few sips I was happy that my favorite dish here was back on game and not weak like my last. The garlic chives also adds some nice flavors but it's the little fried pork CRACK-lins and fried onions that are to me what really helps out (hidden behind the steam below). I totally wished for more of them, in fact next time I'm totally going to ask..(!) :)



The curly Mi Egg Noodles took me a few tries to get used to (if I remember right I think I've had it first here) but I really enjoy them now. I think it was the very eggy part that was the hurdle. It's served really crunchy. If you ever had Bari-Kata barely cooked super al dente noodles in a Hakata Tonkotsu ramen, this texture might remind you of it. Otherwise it's probably best not to compare the bowl to a ramen for they're two completely different animals.



If TKMG stays consistent I'd be interested to eventually take my friends over to see what they think. Either way, next time extra chives, extra fried onions and extra cracklins for sho! :)

Tan Ky Mi Gia, 5237 El Cajon Blvd San Diego, CA 92115

7 comments:

K and S said...

that soup looks like it would help my cold :)

MONONOKE KITCHEN said...

It's simply happiness
in a bowl of noodle soup!

fliu said...

I love love love the pics you always take of the broths. Makes me want to run and get hot broth soup. Especially in this type of rainy weather we're having right now.

I think i'm always odd b/c I don't like the duck 'drippings' at all. I always discard it for some reason. Does it make the soup taste that much better if you add the drippings?

Nice post :)

Dennis K. said...

Hi K&S, hope you get better! It's raining again today...

Hi Mononoke Kitchen, yes I agree! ;)

Hi Fliu, awe thanks! I used to lightly exhale a breathe out while focusing so the steam wouldn't cloud the camera lens but sometimes I let it fog up for the fun of it. The drippings will make it taste sweeter which I don't like as much but the hearty duck flavors and the oils compensates at least for me. I only do it after the middle of the meal though to change things up.

OkiHwn said...

Good looking roast duck noodles!

CAB said...

I was so craving duck earlier in the week and now it's worse (is that possible?). The ducpk + noodle soup is perfect for days like these.

Dennis K. said...

Hi OkiHwn, not much meat this day but still pretty tasty! :)

Hi CAB, yeah roast duck cravings can be intense when they hit! ;)
I could totally go for another somewhere this weekend..