Sunday, November 21, 2010

Banh Mi Your Way @ Saigon Sandwiches & Deli

With the rain today it was totally Pho weather but needed to grab something quick and pick up an extra meal that would be a late lunch. A couple of Banh Mi sandwiches fit the bill.



I think my favorite Banh Mi is maybe the Banh Mi Trung (an egg banh mi). When in these parts it's tempting to walk into Cafe Dore next door but sometimes I'm not in the mood to tolerate all the cigarette smoke, and it seemed like a good time to check out Saigon Sandwiches & Deli a few doors over, past the laundromat.




Hungry I'd be having my Vietnamese ham and egg breakfast sandwich here. At SS&D there are actually two egg banh mi's, the number One (described as 'Omelet') and Two (simply listed as 'Egg' - both $3.50). I think they read Trung Chien Cha and Chien Cha Ap La.



These photos were taken with my new shpanky iPhone 4. Forgetting my camera is a rare occurrence but it happens. Anyhow I asked for the yolk in my eggs to be runny...



And Yes, a yumtastic mess it was. The piece sticking out below is the Cha Lua or Vietnamese ham/sausage loaf. FYI the pickled veggies usually isn't included in this but I had asked for it.



And I realized why. Here the pickles are on the tart side than sweet. Next time I might leave them out as suggested. The bread though is really crusty-flaky and light, really great.



A sneak peek of my lunch's BBQ Pork Banh Mi ($3)..



Had lots of meats. I couldn't resist and took a bite. The pork had no sinewy bits and was well marinated and sweeter. Went better with the less sweet pickled vegetables.



Below my first meal at SS&D. The same No. 2 egg banh mi but with regular Ham instead of the Cha Lua.



I had this on the hood of my car a couple weeks ago. Was quite wonderful. I thought they forgot the pickles then but now I know it's how they serve it. Eggs were a nice medium and it's good either way though as you know I tried asking for it runny the second time..



I did think the saltier ham was maybe a better match for my preference. I might order it that way again next time, and with a Durian pastry snack for dessert....? ;)



Saigon Sandwiches & Deli, 4133 University Ave, San Diego, CA 92105

8 comments:

K and S said...

banh mi, nice!

Mary said...

An eggy banh mi sandwich for breakfast is a good breakfast indeed (or lunch!). I get them often enough that the girl at the place near my house knows me and my order.

CAB said...

That BBQ banh mi sure looks good. I haven't had one in over a month. Way too long.

KirkK said...

Hey Dennis - I think they make the best Banh Mi Xiu Mai here.

Dennis K. said...

Hi CAB, it was a while for me too, probably over six months.. I like my pickles sweeter but overall really enjoy the banh mi here.

Hi Kirk, I'll have to try one next time I'm there! Haven't had it many times but always enjoyed that Vietnamese sloppy joe, he he... ;)

Dennis K. said...

Hi Mary, I enjoy it a lot with that distinct Maggi flavor lightly sprinkled on.. I haven't had Banh Mi's lately but these visits are starting back the trend in me I think.. :)

Michael said...

Hi Dennis,

Dang me, Banh Mi that looks delish!

Dennis K. said...

Hi Michael, yes Yum-mi Banh-mi! haha ;)