Saturday, November 27, 2010

Post Turkey Day Saturday Ramblings

Wow, I really needed those few extra days off. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, I just chilled and relaxed. I'm not sure what to post so cobbled up a few food related things that happened last week and will just ramble along as usual.



With the right lighting I'm discovering my iPhone 4 takes pretty decent pictures. Steady hands always help of course. Anyway at $2.50 the Hiyayakko cold tofu appetizer at Izakaya Sakura is something I usually order with my lunches. A nice more rustic style with medium firm tofu and extra large shaved bonito flakes. The slices of raw okra is a nice touch. With also some grated ginger all it needs is a drizzle of soy sauce. Bon appetit.



The Unatama-don ($10) was a new offering. Similar to the grilled eel Una-don but adding some simmered onions and then sealed with an egg. A bit messy looking but I enjoyed it a lot, the tamago a wiggly half-done it was and all.

Izakaya Sakura, 3904 Convoy St #121, San Diego, CA 92111

Had a pre-Thanksgiving Japanese Gyoza dinner at friend's.



I was on wrapping duty. I can't remember the last time I done it so I was sort of freestyle wrapping (pfff). Ok not really but let's just say there was a small learning curve and I'm only showing the latter nicer looking ones.. ;)



The friend's missus' recipe for the filling calls for without the use of garlic, but it still had some great punchy flavors with the nira flat leaf chives. Ground pork based of course with finely minced Chinese cabbage (salted and strained of excess moisture) and... And I'll have to ask for the full recipe one of these days.



These were so good fried up to a nice crisp on one side. Honestly better than any I had at any Japanese restaurant here in SD (which majorly lack some kahones in flavor and execution). :P

Then we had Tanmen. From a package obviously but was very comforting with the healthy vegetable stir-fry on top. Many of the fresh vegetables used were from a farm box. Thanks guys!



Last night helped same friends purchase a Christmas tree at Home Depot.



(That's not them in the pic above btw...) Only got some firewood for myself since I'll be gone and in Japan for Christmas.. (Yippie!)



Were some moss on these, probably from the recent rain, but it still burned cleanly. I hate ones that seem to be robbing energy from my starter log instead of contributing as a fuel source that it should, haha. Might go pick up more today.



Darn I never finished my Yakitori Grill project. Maybe I still have time this year. I then remembered watching a cooking show where a guy roasted a quail tied to a string that slowly twirled next to a fireplace. The closest thing I could find on YouTube was this Fireplace String-turned Roast Chicken video. The actual roasting doesn't happen until past midway of the vid. Seems fun. So Colonial!? :)

I then finally opened the package from my big sis that came back in April/May. I had asked for some Ivan Ramen instant noodles. She included a few others along with. Looking forward to be slurping the real stuff soon though.



Today breakfast was at the San Diego Chicken Pie Shop (my part one and two posts on SDCPS) and then I lazily watched Iron Chef. It was seriously the first I turned my television on in at least six months.



Last, you are probably all fowl-ed out by now but I was really impressed with Dave of Dave's Cupboard's recent very thorough frozen pot pie buyer's guide post. The Marie Callendar's that I've been pretty content with barely listed in the lower middle tier! Shown above is a chicken pot pie you can purchase frozen ($2.60) from the San Diego Chicken Pie Shop to go. I think they said 10-minutes in a 350°F oven. If done in a dutch oven by the fireplace, not so sure... ;)

Happy Holidays!

San Diego Chicken Pie Shop, 2633 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego, CA 92140

12 comments:

OkiHwn said...

Intereting - that unatama-don!

K and S said...

everything looks so good! glad you had a nice thanksgiving!

caninecologne said...

happy late thanksgiving dennis!

cool that you're going to japan for xmas!!! lucky! :)

re: chicken pie shop - been meaning to try that place out but one of my friends told me that the food is kinda soft, cafeteria-like and made for old people. sounds kinda mean, huh.

word ver:
hyper

Dennis K. said...

Hi OkiHwn, it's not often offered that way but good! :)

Hi K&S, hope you had a good T-day too!

Hi CC, you too! Yeah visiting the fam and looking forward.
Some of the meals at the SD Chicken Pie Shop definitely applies to that description but the Chicken Pie is cheap and worth a try once I think. Cheers

Nilcha said...

happy belated thanksgiving,..that gyoza looks yumm!!

Cathy Doe said...

I think the Chicken Pie Shop is a destination this week, thanks for the reminder. The frozen pie is cooked so you are warming it up-and want the bottom crust to be not mushy. Love that the pie is just gravy and meat...no filler. I do have to buy the pie dinner, though. Just because...

Kirbie said...

I can't believe the iphone takes such nice pics! Your dumplings look so pretty.

fliu said...

Happy belated TG!

The cold tofu looks like it has prosciutto de parma on top! I was like wow - that's an interesting combination :)

I still have to revisit that place as your posts always raves about the food there. When me and my sis went years ago it wasn't that great.

Can't wait for you Chicken Pie review. Been meaning to try that place out!

Liz said...

Ooo I haven't been back to the San Diego Chicken Pie Shop in quite a while

Wandering Chopsticks said...

This reminds me that there's a chicken pot pie place up here that I should check out. I just had a Marie Callendar's chicken pot pie last night. Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. I needed the break too. Work was crazy the last two months.

Dennis K. said...

Hi Nilcha, thanks for stopping by and for the compliment! A nice blog you have as well! :)

Hi Cathy the place was dead the day. I think everyone was out shopping for Christmas gifts. Yeah, the pot pie packs a tasty meaty filling. I think they blend it with some turkey meat. But I've been craving fresh falafels ever since your post btw! Mama's Bakery would be nearest to me.

Hi Kirbie, only the Tofu pic and few from Home Depot were taken from my iPhone. My first few dumplings were horrible, ha, but thanks. ;)

Hi Fliu, I love Sakura for their many esoteric dishes that I wouldn't be able to get anywhere else in SD. They're not perfect by any means and I expressed my nerdy thoughts once on a rambling here. I don't recommend them for crunchy rolls but if you have a hankering for some miso simmered mackerel or buri daikon, this would be the place.

Hi Liz, it was for me too. One thing is for sure, whether you like the food or not they are very consistent.. ;)

Hi WC, hope you have something fun planned for December to offset as well.. Anyhow the only thing about these frozen pies are how long some can take to cook in the oven! Wasn't Marie Callendar's like 40 mins? Despite the wait, it is easy enough on those lazy nights, haha.

edjusted said...

The gyoza look perfect. Looking forward to reading your take on all your ramen goodies!