Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Quick Bite @ The Original Pantry Cafe

Had some business to attend at the L.A. Convention Center late last week. For lunch had the option of having some inflated mediocre stuff at the food courts, but a coworker and I instead decided to walk a couple blocks down Figueroa to eat at The Pantry.



The Original Pantry Cafe as it is officially called has been open twenty-four-seven since 1924. This means their doors haven't closed in eighty-six years.




Ate here a few times during college days. The food may not exactly wow you but the atmosphere is really great and to be able to taste a history of downtown Los Angeles is definitely neat. On top since I also enjoy having breakfast for lunch (or any other time of day for that matter..) it was an easy decision.



Like most typical waiters here Juan looks mighty serious but he was a super cool guy. :)



I contemplated briefly on the Country Fried Steak or Corned Beef Hash (had them both before and they're pretty good) but ended up with my usual very ordinary breakfast of three eggs (over-easy), sausage, potatoes and white toast. (I know.. *yawn*)



My colleague's scrambled eggs with bacon.



I had a bite of the sourdough and wished I had ordered it. Moist and chewy.



But I didn't regret much else. The large pork sausage patties were nice and salty, the egg whites were a bit runny but I tend not to mind that.

It's always fun to sit at the counter and watch the cooks do their thing. I always wished to have a giant restaurant griddle like that at home..(!) Cook up some omelets by the ladle full and get to use that oversized spatula and bacon presses. :)




The shot of the potatoes before I drowned them in ketchup..



Were so fluffy and great. I imagine the potatoes (Yukon Gold?) are boiled/steamed first before letting them sit in the pan for that final thick coat of crunchy char.



Busy busy behind the counter. Again, fun to watch.



Checking out some condiments while enjoying my meal I totally remembered how my dad used to put hot sauce on everything. Having breakfast at diners like these always reminds me of how much I miss him.



Anyhow, prices were a bit higher than I remembered from the times during my last visits but it still sure did beat any of the lifeless overpriced convention center food. :P



The Original Pantry Cafe, 877 South Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA 90017

6 comments:

K and S said...

looks like a great place!

Michael said...

Hi Dennis,
I love old school places like this.
Happy Holidays my friend!

Chow

Michael

OkiHwn said...

How are the prices?

Dennis K. said...

Hi K&S, I may not go out of my way for the food but the place has a nice vibe.. :)

Hi Michael, Happy Holidays to you too! Cheers

Hi OkiHwn, the sausage/bacon and eggs plates were upper $8 and the country fried steak $14+. Not terribly expensive but for breakfast not bargains. The full menu is on their website that I linked to. The hamburger one ordered looked great.

Mary said...

I went here once with my friend awhile ago. I adore their sourdough bread. We stood in line forever just to here and it was totally worth it.

Dennis K. said...

Hi Mary, fortunately I've never had to wait in too long of a line. We were here at noon sharp and I was afraid but maybe because it was a weekday.. The sourdough is good! :)