Monday, December 6, 2010

A Few Hot Dog Ramblings

I think I found myself here after hunting down another disguised cell tower on my way home from Irvine one weekend. From what I quickly gathered, this was the second location of Dave's World Famous Burgers • Dogs, the original institutional location being a tiny shack somewhere in Long Beach. I ended up with the Grilled Dog Sandwich and not a burger though.



The manager of the shop was the coolest guy. After I asked if I can snap a photo of my sandwich on the counter, he playfully placed the little folded card stock menu next to it and said he could use some advertisement. :)



I forgot what I paid for the sandwich but it wasn't much. Also not sure what brand the franks were but they were skinless and extra fine in texture. The rest of my sandwich consisted of grilled onions, fresh lettuce and tomatoes, ketchup and mayo. Basic stuff but what I was in the mood for.



I felt I really needed to visit the original location someday, not to mention order up a burger and fries next time.

Dave's World Famous Burgers • Dogs, 2222 Palo Verde Ave, Long Beach, CA 90815

Though it may be hard to tell under all that rich chili sauce, the Chili Hot Dog at Tommy's Original actually has a decent locally produced natural casing all beef dog by Papa Cantella's.



Even after consuming these dogs numerously throughout the years I never really noticed. Since eating the messy thing in a close to any civilized manner is practically impossible, I ordered it with the chili on the side one day. Wow, I can suddenly detect a light snap and beefy flavors..



But too bad the franks are still shy of the bun unlike the image of it hanging right above the Cashier...(protruding out both ends). In any case I still prefer the burgers over the dogs here..



Tommy's Original, 7415 Clairemont Mesa Blvd, San Diego, CA 92111

I'm sure most already know but you can now get your $1.50 Costco hot dog fix in Kearny Mesa. A new Costco Business Center opened up in the former Home Depot Expo location and there are super convenient parking spaces right next to the concession stand as if they were dedicated to people like me.



I tried the $1.99 slice of pizza for the first time. I have to say it was the biggest slice of Pizza mediocrity I've tried and I really couldn't finish it. I'd bet these taste great cold the next morning but my leftovers consisted of mostly bread.



On the other hand it seems I'm much more forgiving towards a $1.50 over-sized hot dog that comes with a 20 oz. drink (and with refills). Especially when you can pile on an array of condiments. Only mustard, relish and onions for me but lots. And Look, the frank sticks out on both ends of the bun just as advertised. Now that's a nice sight.. ;)



Costco Business Center, 7803 Othello Ave, San Diego, CA 92111

5 comments:

Mary said...

Those Costco dogs make for a good, cheap afternoon lunch when you've got a few kids in tow, too. I like them with a ton of onions, too! Onion breath be damned.

K and S said...

all look great especially the one with chili!

caninecologne said...

yeah dennis - costco!!!! $1.50, can't beat that!

Darwin D said...

Costco was my hotdog staple for a while. That and Ikea haha.

Dennis K. said...

Costco or not, with both parents working I remember growing up when hot dog was sometimes dinner! Thanks for all the comments guys! :)