Monday, January 17, 2011

Another Naporitan @ Jin Jin - Shinjuku

Eh, I think I'm going to post on another Naporitan tonight. The adapted Japanese ketchup flavored spaghetti dish that nobody in San Diego is really interested in hearing about, haha. Actually these days even in Japan for that matter except for some niche cult following. And that's exactly why I enjoy posting about them.. ;)



I actually posted on Jin Jin in the past with help from friends. Yes, if the food images inspire me enough I'm more than willing to share anybody's travel photos on my blog.




Lying below the Shinjuku Kinokuniya bookstore (right next to Studio Alta) exists a few eateries well catered to the people on the go. After grabbing your latest Gundam illustration mook or maybe the week's Shonen Jump, Tonkatsu, spaghetti, Japanese curry rice dishes and such awaits you down in the basement floor.



Anyhow, Jin Jin's Naporitan was Ok. A bit too wet.. A bit too proper marinara tasting.. And the pasta a bit too al dente. You see, traditional Italian spaghetti logic just doesn't apply to Naporitans...



Jin Jin is still an excellent Japanese Pasta producing establishment though. I should've stuck with the Bolognese like my friend suggested. But either way, maybe it was the fact that I almost licked my plate clean, or more probably because I was taking photos of their food. I was given a special Jin Jin Free Oomori (extra large portion) Coupon Pass.



SO freak'n cute it was made to look like a train ticket. All aboard to Big Platesville! :)

8 comments:

K and S said...

he he looks like perfect b-kyu gurume!

Junichi said...

Never knew there were restaurants under that Kinokuniya. I need to check that out the next time I'm over there. I love Napolitan too, so keep these posts coming!

Dennis K. said...

Hi K&S, it's probably one of the original! ;)

Aw thanks Junichi, I really appreciate it. I'll be posting about Monsnack the curry shop right next to JIn Jin very soon. They've been in business for 46 years they say!

Michael said...

No way? Napolitan? that looks great! Have to try it. Great pics by the way...

Dennis K. said...

Haha, you're always great Michael.. ;) I did change the tongue icon to a wink so people would know I'm kidding.

Carol said...

I'm not so sure how much I would like a sweeter kind of ketchup spaghetti sauce, maybe more so if I was younger. Always love your pictures.

eatnapo said...

JinJin!
>A bit too wet
I think too...

Please try POWA's Hard fried Naporitan next visit !!!

Dennis K. said...

Hi Carol! It's actually not that sweet strangely. Maybe because Del Monte ketchup is more popular there than Heinz, and also cause you only use enough to coat the pasta in a light orange hue. It's like a tomato flavored yakisoba really. Also there are some that incorporate demi glace or where the ketchup is cut with some tomato sauce.

Hello Eatnapo-san!! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I heard a lot about POWA from Ginger-san. ;) I can't wait to visit again!!!