Thursday, January 20, 2011

Curry Plate @ Mon Snack (モンスナック)

Old Leica's. Drool.



Tokyo subways.. Cool.



Subway level Japanese Curry shops. Drool and Cool.



Mon Snack (モンスナック), a curry shop that's been in business under the Shinjuku Kinokuniya bookstore shares walls with Jin Jin. They've been in business for over 46 years.



The curry here is sara-sara soupy and thin. The most popular is the pork with tonkatsu but knowing I had a full day of food grazing ahead I went for the simple Beef Curry which happened to be the special of the day at a discounted price.



The rice is moulded in a football shape (always tempted to buy the aluminum form at Japanese dollar stores..). The thin beef pieces were a bit stringy but the light viscosity curry has a fairly straightforward but very comforting spice draw and none of the rice will go to waste. With AYCE sweet Fukushinzuke pickles on the white melamine table, even better..





The girl across from me that probably worked at a clothing shop nearby looked very trendy. The guy to my left, more nerdy. Me? Unshaven with my shemagh and camera across my neck probably like a wannabe battle photographer. :P



My favorite trinket shop Few Many is nearby as well. They are closet-sized and sell cuteness in many various forms.

7 comments:

K and S said...

curry sounds so good today!

caninecologne said...

wow, they have football shaped molds for rice?

been enjoying your japan food posts! :)

Dennis K. said...

Hi K&S, curry sounds good to me everyday! :)

Hi CC, I see them sometimes used for omurice too. The use might be kinda old school these days.. ;)

Michael said...

Leica's and curry....yummmmeeee!!

Dennis K. said...

Hi Michael, seriously!! :)

edjusted said...

One of these days, I'll be able to afford a Leica...

Dennis K. said...

Me too! :) Some of the lenses can cost more than my car!