Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy New Year!!

It'll probably take me a few days to catch up with everyone's posts but hope you all had a great New Years.



Finally back from a week in Okinawa and another eight days in Tokyo. Unfortunately with a very bad cold, but it was great to spend such quality time with the family and old friends.


[An early morning shot from my home's rooftop in Oki. Jet lagged, haha..]

It was also great to meet Keizo of Go Ramen! at Bassanova, Ivan from Ivan Ramen, and Ginger-san from the Shogayaki.com blog. Though it may have been brief, I had a blast meeting you all! (Posts definitely coming..)

But if I had one objective that I had to accomplish during my visit home it was to learn my grandmother's recipe for Okinawan Nakamijiru. Nakamijiru is a wonderful light soup made with what I think we call here Chitlins. The hardest part was cleaning the pig large intestines which took several somewhat labor intensive steps.


[Shown my uncle helping out. The shiitake stock will later be combined with that of hon-katsuo bonito flakes.]

There were a few other time consuming steps, one which I was on aku (scum) skimming duty, but you can say mission was accomplished. :)



I might do a full recipe post one of these days (I definitely took enough photos and videos) but we'll see. In any case my 2011 blog resolution is about cooking more at home.



And I'm inspired to do so and share. :)

9 comments:

K and S said...

happy new year!

KirkK said...

A belated Happy New Year to you Dennis! I'm looking forward to your posts!

Mike said...

Happy New Year, Dennis - looking forward to seeing what food adventures you have this year!

Michael said...

Happy New Year!! and welcome back.

caninecologne said...

hi dennis! welcome back!!!! > o <

happy new year to you and glad you came back safely and had a great trip back home.

btw, i posted a photo of a cell phone tower for you.

Carol said...

Happy New Year Dennis! Sounds like you had a great trip, albeit the cold.

Dennis K. said...

Thanks guys, Happy New Year to you all too! Hope to get over this pesky cold soon. The Nyquil puts quite a damper in putting together posts in the evening!

OkiHwn said...

The aquarium was one of my favorite places! You saw the shark tank?

Your grandma must be a fanatastic cook! The ingrdients of what seems to be goya chanpuru looks nice. Miss the goya of Okinawa. Hope you learned a lot!

Dennis K. said...

Hi OkiHwn it was my second time visiting Chura Umi but my first was such a long time ago. The shark tank rocks!
My grandmother is 94 years old, so she mostly supervises now. The goya champuroo meal was very adhoc using only what was available. One of my distant uncles farms them in a greenhouse. As you know best time to eat them is the summer though..