Thursday, February 17, 2011

Airport Snacks - Mansei Fried Hambaagu Sando

A snack at the Haneda Domestic Terminal. I'm deeply admiring the simplistic charm of a Mansei Hamburg Sandwich in all its ambient premade deliciousness. ;)



Ok, it's technically a Menchi-katsu sando but who am I to argue with a business that's been around since 1949. I find the simple packaging equally intriguing.



When the rather sturdy box is opened, a wet wipe greets you on top of the neatly tucked sandwich in waxy corrugated paper. Your meal is moist but not soggy. I feel loved.



A rather reserved coating of sweet Chunou sauce dresses the simple room temperature patty of breaded minced meat. This is your typical Japanese fine textured and highly fillerized with some pleasant taste of minced onions and mild spices. The trimmed spongy shokupan is lightly kissed with mustard and butter, while an ultra thin slice of sweet pickle chaperons it between the hambaagu. So simple and so nice. Had the rest of it in the plane while reading my Shonen Jump.



Mt. Fuji was beautiful. Funny how the Hoeizan crater made it look hungry! :)

5 comments:

K and S said...

great shot of Mt Fuji, that sandwich sounds good too, I don't appreciate the soggy ones.

The Diligent Diletante said...

loving the presentation...

Su-Lin said...

Loving the look of that sandwich! Another thing to try to recreate at home!

caninecologne said...

hi dennis - cool box. i had menchi for the first time during xmas break (at curry house) - i love breaded meat!

word ver:
sulan

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kat, thanks. I had a hard time deciding between it and the Man-Katsu sandwich. Both so cute..!

Hi DD! Yeah simple details.. :)

Hi Su-Lin! Haha, I think I still have my hands full with the MOS Burger sauce.... ;)

Hi CC, Haha! Yes, fried breaded meat can be hard to beat sometimes.. :)