Wednesday, February 2, 2011

An Okinawa Soba - Part Five (Bonus): 100-Yen Soba

My bonus 100-Yen Soba (100円そば) post.. I'm pretty sure this is an Okinawa specific concept but I'll confirm later.



In any case watching these kids really reminded me of that great feeling of when the bell rings and....



...SCHOOL'S OUT!!! :)



Of the high traffic routes and intersections, ones with relative ease of quick parking you'll likely find a "food parlor"... (I explain a bit about food parlors on my Okinawan Tacos post here.) This particular strategically-located is along an artery route of clockworking regular stream of school kids. The type of food and their prices would naturally be geared towards them while the capsule toy machines outside are also another indicator of what type of eats you might expect.




My second day back, I decided to take a stroll around me 'hood and came across a "100-yen Soba" banner the cloudy overcast day it was. Decided to try one for old times sake.



I was used to ones that came simply in coffee styro cups which you'd fill with soup from one of those upright hot water dispensers. This was a better size than I was used to. Toppings were simple with a slice of kamaboko fish cake and shredded kinshi tamago egg.



But also available were all the chopped scallions (looked fresh), beni shoga and spicy hot chili infused Awamori koregusu condiment you wanted.



Tasted most excellent for the about a buck price it was.(!)



On top, as one can imagine for me the experience was all about the reminiscing. Something difficult to really put a quantifiable value on. But if I had to, I rate it..

Eleven-Stars ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆.

5 comments:

K and S said...

yum!

Su-Lin said...

Wow - you can't get anything like that for £1 here!

Dennis K. said...

Hi K&S, very much so. :)

Hi Su-Lin, yeah I always loved the concept of a small noodle soup served as a quick snack.. Anyway thanks for dropping by! :)

OkiHwn said...

Same as I used to pick up for breakfast. Fantastic on a cold morning.

Dennis K. said...

Hi OkiHwn, these are great aren't they? Noodle soup for a buck..