Friday, March 18, 2011

Go Go El Borrego! Part Three, And Tacos El Poblano Chula Vista

I noticed a few more new lovely items my last visit to El Borrego Restaurant and wanted to share. My Part One post of El Borrego here and Part Two here.



If you can tell by the post titles, I've been a fan of them since they've opened back in 2008. EB started out strong but business seemed to fluctuate starting with the economic down turn while the lack of parking probably never helped as well. But the vibe I sensed chatting with the people here my most recent visit, seems things have stabilized finally. This weekend noon day the spot had a healthy seating of patrons with also many pick up orders. Go Go El Borrego! :)



My appetite permitting I went for one of anything new I came across. Sopes were offered in variety of meats ($2.99), Yucatan Cochinita Pibil Tacos ($2.50), Squash Blossom quesadillas, and even Pancita (stewed stomach, in this case sheep) which I think is only a weekend thing. To no surprise they were all quite great.

The first and last I had a Cochinita Pibil taco was at the Miho Truck a while back. These tasted just as great with the same spicy but also citrusy and mildly tart slow roast pork flavor. The accompanied onions that I thought were pickled then was explained that they were just red onions with habanero and maybe a squeeze of lemon/lime. It definitely goes well with the smokey citrusy pork. Yum.

[My peek-a-boo shots of each..]


[Squash Blossoms, Cochinita Pibil and Pancita Tacos..]

Quesadillas here are the same size as the tacos. The squash blossoms with gooey melted cheese had a great steeped floral flavor and wasn't fried. The sopes was nice but I always thought the regular lamb here (which I got) was very low on that distinctive gamey flavor that I look forward to. The pancita though had much more of this but with little or no offal notes. The minced sheep stomach in spices seemed to have been long stewed for hours and was totally delicious. Definitely going to be back for these.



In fact I ordered two more on the spot.. :)



But the better economical way of ordering these would be by weight. Not sure off hand what the Pancita goes for but the C. Pibil pork is $9.99 per 1/2 lbs. Would come with several tortillas, fresh salsa and all the fixin's for you to create that perfect taco.



The banana leaf wrapped tamales are now on the main (wall) menu. They're super soft and remind me of the one I had at El Salvadoreno Restaurant recently. They go out fast. The green pork pozole is also a winner in my opinion.

El Borrego Restaurant, 4280 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego, CA 92115

Visited Tacos El Poblano in Chula Vista first time just last night. Friends and I were aimlessly cruising trying to take our minds off of the crisis in Japan and were kind of heading towards Tacos El Gordo. I remembered Kirk of Mmm-yoso letting me know about TEP during the little tour he gave me of CV and thought it'd be the perfect time to check them out instead.



As we entered we were immediately greeted with a lovely waft of meats grilling over flames. Your choices are limited here to Birria, Asada and Adobada.



Had one of each as tacos of course ($1.75 ea.). The Birria was easily my favorite, the dark rich tender and juicy stew it was. I'm guessing lamb but the flavor of the actual meat was subtle, definitely wasn't goat, I can usually smell that a block away. The smokey salsa was really nice. All the tacos seemed under salted so a little squeeze of lime and a shake from the tabletop shaker accompanied every other bite. :)



The adobada was good and the carne asada though on the dry side had a nice beefy flavor and lot of great crispy char bits thanks to the flame grill. I noticed the tortillas here are quickly dipped into the Birria stew pot before heated on the flat griddle for some extra flavor. ;)



I loved the cute way they wrap the tacos here. I'm a total sucker for things like that. Ordered another Birria and adobada later. Was greasier than my first. But totally delicious.

You can read about the original TJ location of Tacos El Poblano on The Massa Assassin here, and another of Kirk's at Mmm-yoso of this location here.



Where are you Masa Assassin!? We miss you dog!!

Tacos El Poblano, 217 3rd Ave, Chula Vista, CA 91910

3 comments:

caninecologne said...

hi dennis - there's a tacos el poblano near me as well, east c.v., on east h near the costco/kmart.

the tacos are so small! but i love the adobada.

while not on the menu, they also serve 'mulitas', which are the same little tortillas but grilled with meat and cheese in between.

K and S said...

tacos :) looks good!

Dennis K. said...

Hi CC! Ooh, must try the mulitas... I love the smaller TJ style tacos. But yeah, when prices creep up close to the $2 range I start to get picky.

Hi Kat, yes good tacos! Hope you all are hanging in.