Thursday, March 24, 2011

I ♥ Nashville - Martin's Bar-B-Que Joint, Nolensville

I'll be honest and say a big factor in me checking out Martin's Bar-B-Que Joint in Nolensville was the fact that they were open on Monday night. Early researching I quickly found that most Meat and Three and BBQ joints in Nashville are closed the day.



Came across Martin's indirectly while browsing through the wonderful ulikafoodblog.com BBQ blog. While I've yet to find an outright review of Martin's there, the author had posted about a small cameo (I'm guessing as one of the diners at the end) while the place was being filmed for Diners Drive-ins and Dives. 'Triple-D' as the guy host that I find highly caustic says, but I have to admit that I do enjoy watching the show itself once in a while. :P

As much as I was looking forward in appreciating some low and slow smoked with firewood genuine barbecue for a change (as opposed to some places here in SD, *ehem), Martin's takes it to another level by going whole hog. I will also say while on the honesty wagon that I'm the type that personally isn't attracted to places plastered with paraphernalia (PPP?) but I got over it quickly because you don't have to dig too deep to feel the owner Pat Martin's wholehearted commitment to his restaurant.



They have what they call the Redneck Taco here, which is a piece of circular cornbread hoecake with choice of bbq'd meat and topped with coleslaw. Intriguing, but decided to go with something more classic and paid for a Pulled Pork Plate with a side of a single rib at the register. (+$1.50, bargain!)



I'm so used to pulled pork being rather smaller strands packed into a mound but these were much larger, impressively chunky pulls which were moist and very flavorful. Had a lighter vinegar based sauce that wasn't too sweet that went well with. Delicious. Very crisp fresh tasting coleslaw = fantastic. And the baked beans, oh boy So Good! Not your ordinary that seemed to have a few extra ingredients starting with bits of bell peppers. The meal was also served with a nice thick piece of lightly buttered Texas Toast.

As I mentioned, you can add extra ribs by the bone for only a $1.50 each which was way cool. Choice of spares or baby backs, wet or dry. Was recommended the baby back - dry.



These were perfectly cooked. Meats still adhering but cleanly pulling off the bone as you bit into them. Lightly smokey and the spice rub I found to be totally killer, I loved it. I even enjoyed the silver skin left on the back that contributed to some nice crackly texture. These guys definitely know what they're doing.



If my next experience with dry rub pork ribs are as good as these I'm officially a Memphis style dry rub convert. Didn't seem like they sold the rub or would've purchased a bottle.. Anyhow, my first night in Nashville, Martin's really helped kick things off right. :)

Martin's Barbecue Joint, 7215 Nolensville Rd, Nolensville, TN 37135

Some random shots from downtown Nashville..







Wee, can't wait to be back again one day. :)

6 comments:

caninecologne said...

ooh, the crackly silver skin! i like that!

dry rub style is one i haven't tried yet - sounds good.

nice pix of nashville!

word ver:

mings

Mings vase was broken by Eddie Murphy (as Billy Ray Valentine) in "Trading Places".

Dennis K. said...

Hi CC! Yeah these were good and I'm curious in trying more of the dry style ribs now.

KirkK said...

Hey Dennis - I guess it's a really simple question now..... do you know why I'm not a big fan of Phil's????

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kirk, haha. Probably why Phil's is so popular is because people can have decent grilled "back yard BBQ" without the mess at home. I could be the same way. But I agree it's not barbecue in the true smoked with firewood sense. I heard they have killer onion rings though. ;)

Nolensville TN said...

Martin's in Nolensville has the best brisket I've ever had!

Dennis K. said...

Hello Nolensville, Martin's was great and if I'm back I'll be sure to have some brisket!