Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ru-Ru-Run For A Plate Of.. Kwai Fei C..

What I ate for lunch today.



The morning started out super great and I was randomly in the mood for some Kwai Fei Chicken. By lunch I was totally craving it! Do you ever get like that? I'm sure there are many places to get this in town but for me Golden City came first to mind, conveniently located and their good prices.



Yumm... Kwai... Fei... Ceeeee... (Ok I'm in a good mood.)



Steamed chicken in spices served at room temperature, the cooling yum Kwai Fei C. took only minutes to come out. "It's easy as One, Two Three!"
Maybe a tad smaller in portion during my first group experience but it turned out to be a great meal. $6.95, which for lunch comes with some rice, a small bowl of soup (egg drop or hot sour) and a fried egg roll.



The meats were meaty. And I can never seem to get enough of that delicious sauce.



Flavors of finely minced shallots, ginger, cilantro, maybe a hint of sesame oil.. (My guesses here.) I could put it on anything. Does anyone have the recipe?



Oh, I also had the Fish Fillet in Black Bean Sauce. I was stuffed!



Golden City Restaurant, 5375 Kearny Villa Rd, San Diego, CA 92123

15 comments:

K and S said...

that looks like ginger sauce they usually serve on cold ginger chicken.

KirkK said...

Sorry to butt in.... yes Kat, it is the "sauce" they use for what we call "cold ginger chicken" in Hawaii. GC is a nice inexpensive stop for lunch. When we had our group meal there, I think I ordered a half chicken instead of the lunch special.

Cliff said...

Darn...now I'm craving black bean sauce fish...

Is that chicken a "normal" chicken or a free range chicken?

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kat! Thanks, I'll look it up that way. Not much came up typing Kwai Fei Chicken... Just a bunch of Kirk's posts, haha! ;)

Hi Kirk, it was still a pretty good portion!

Hey Cliff, are you asking because of the yellow pigmentation of the skin? I'm guessing that's more from the rub. With the prices here I doubt they're using any special chicken but I could be wrong..

Cliff said...

Yea..that yellow is tricking me haha. Either way it's delicious!

Wandering Chopsticks said...

That sounds about right. I just puree green onions, cilantro, ginger, garlic, sea salt, and sesame oil to make my sauce.

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Oh, meant to say, most of the time though I use a neutral oil like vegetable oil, since sesame oil is pretty strong. That's if you want the flavor of the green onion and cilantro to come out more.

Dennis K. said...

Hi Cliff, I heard to some people the chicken could look like it's raw! haha ;)

Hi WC, wow thanks! I think I'm going to start putting it on everything.. :)

Ghetto Gourmet said...

The recipe for the Kwai Fei Chicken sauce is usually a little salt, grated ginger and finely minced scallions. You put those in a heat proof container and pour hot vegetable or canola oil over it. You can use any oil that has a neutral flavor to it. My mom also likes to sprinkle some ground ginger over the top after adding the hot oil.

Dennis K. said...

Hi GG, sounds delicious! Will have to try that method too. Hope to have a post about this sauce soon. :)

OkiHwn said...

It's chung yau gai - cold ginger chicken - in Hawaii. A favorite and delicious. If it was cold, the boiled chicken and its sauce were already made and sitting in the refrigerator.

Dennis K. said...

Hi Nate, how's it going!? For six bucks I thought the plate was great. Be neat to try some cooked to order though, using some jidori even. I'd bet the method really lends to tasting the difference of these chicken!

OkiHwn said...

Recipe is very simple, will send to you if you want.

Problems with my doggie right now.

Jess said...

This is how I (and the people I know from Hong Kong) make the sauce: grate ginger, finely chop green onion; heat up a tbsp or two of peanut oil in the wok, then pour the hot oil into the ginger and green onions in a container. At the end, season the mixture with a little bit of salt and a drop of sesame oil. Restaurants would add MSG as well. Stir and serve.

Dennis K. said...

Hi Nate, hope Nezumi gets better!

Thanks for your recipe Jess! I definitely tasted msg in GC's version. Personally don't mind it though. ;)