Saturday, March 12, 2011

Same CBOT Breakfast @ The Huddle - Mission Hills

A late breakfast today at The Huddle in Mission Hills.



I had another set of meal photos from April 2010 since my last post but it was again the Chipped Beef on Toast and the tables even had the same Easter themed vinyl as today lol. I don't know a lot of places that still serve CBOT in SD so seems it had been what I ordered my last three visits. Hmm, predictability. A sign?



I did though grow up calling this dish Creamed Beef on Toast. The many "Chipped Beef" varieties I've tried were a bit pastrami-like and tangy in flavor, a style I don't personally prefer when it comes to CBOT. Here at The Huddle it resembles most what my dad and I have had at overseas U.S. Military Base cafeterias. More floury in flavor and texture.



With this military influence I am all too familiar with the S.O.S. naming. But the toasted bread here would be soft and moist and nothing like the chewy dried "shingles" I've had (and didn't mind) as a kid. I do reminisce about the ground beef but the chipped here has an uncured neutral enough flavor where the meal easily hits my personal nostalgia sweet spot.



The Huddle isn't the best in coming for a quick meal and scoot. More for when you're in a slower relaxed mood, would rather read the paper, maybe do some crossword puzzles, chat with friends if meeting up, or like me - people watch and discreetly take photos.



Fighting against my OCD tendencies I've been amusing the virtues of how less could be more, and how sometimes words selectively unsaid could be as effective as ones spelled out. Darn, I AM getting old aren't I...



Well, it's inevitable so I might as well sit back, enjoy my meal and the ride.



[I'm still a bit dazed about the earthquake and tsunami that happened in Japan. I spoke with my family yesterday and they're all fine. My heart and prayers go out to everyone that has been affected by the tragedy.]

The Huddle, 4023 Goldfinch Street San Diego, CA 92103

10 comments:

K and S said...

glad to hear your family/friends are okay.

Darlene said...

Thinking about everyone affected by the earthquake. And it seems like The Huddle is the perfect place to reflect on it.

caninecologne said...

hi dennis - I'm glad that your family and friends in Japan are all right. Thank goodness.


My dad (former Navy) used to make this - he enjoyed calling it "SOS" and even told us what it meant and that's when we were young too. ha ha. inappropriate Dad.

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Glad your family is OK! I came over to check and see if you were alright. It's still shocking all the images that keep coming back from the news.

Mary said...

Glad to hear your folks are okay in Japan.

The Huddle looks like my kind of place.

Dennis K. said...

Thanks Kat, you too.

Hi Darlene, might've been the subconscious decision to go, but yeah The Huddle is cool like that.

Thanks CC. I'm sure I'd get sick of it if I had it every day.. ;)

Hi WC, thanks for checking in. Yeah it's petty bad.

Hi Mary, I think you'd like the place too. You just can't be in a hurry here. :)

OkiHwn said...

Yes - SOS - but on rice for me!

Carol said...

I'm glad to hear your family is okay with all that's happening in Japan.

I'll have to ask the Mister if knows what SOS is, being in the Navy and all

Dennis K. said...

Wow Nate, never thought of that! Sounds guilty good.. :)

Thanks Carol. And yes your Mister should definitely know. It's pretty funny actually. :)

meemalee said...

I'm so glad your loved ones are okay x