Sunday, March 6, 2011

Shin-Yokohama Raumen Museum - Part Two: Ide Shoten And Eki

After the delicate classy-classic bowl of shoyu at Shina Sobaya, I was ready for something richer and maybe more rustic.



I read about Ide Shoten on Keizo's Go Ramen! blog quite some time ago and thought I'd try them out. It'd be a creamy and flavorful Tonkotsu/Shoyu which sounded good, but in the mini portion. I need the room for another Ajitama egg, ha.



I'm not very familiar with Wakayama-style ramen but supposedly this shop was the originator for at least the cloudy tonkotsu-shoyu variant. Extroverted flavors of tonkotsu pork bone based soup with some added sweetness of DNA tickling shoyu. I'm in.



Loved the pork chashu which was medium fatty and lightly smoky. I also really appreciated the slightly thicker almost white colored noodles. The ajitamago was also great but understandably shadowed by the awesome Nagoya Cochin version I had earlier at Shina Sobaya.



It would've been neat to try in combination with the pressed sushi for a complete Wakayama experience. But I really couldn't anyway, the mini half order is still a pretty filling portion.(!)






Nice that there's a lot to keep you occupied while your second meal settles in the belly. And now for the third.



Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum, Rich, Richer, Richest, Richestestest.. Ramen No Eki is a shop currently only existing at the museum produced by the Sumire/Junren folks of Sapporo.



Story goes it's a re-creation of flavors of the very original miso ramen served at the then quietly run now forgotten shop of proprietor Akeko Muranaka pre-Junren/Sumire days. While I knew Sumire's miso ramen is already quite intense, I was braced because I heard this would be even richer.

Eki's miso ramen, the precursor to Junren/Sumire..



Yep, what you see is a good 1/4 inch (at least) of lard on top, effectively trapping the heat of the soon to be slurped up soup and noodles. They say a nice thing to have in the harsh cold winters of Hokkaido. I wouldn't know first hand but I can imagine. And so is lard often directly applied to the skin of swimmers crossing the English Channel, haha. No argument it is a good insulator.




I read the key ingredient miso was a big factor in the re-creation and is based on the then used white raw Shiro Miso, but cooked once and heated again for a second time to maximize aroma and depth of flavor. I have to say the fat was a bit much even for me but the flavor of the miso with a composition of spices was fantastic if not quite salty.



You would get a slice of pork chashu if ordered a full serving along with the standard loose ground style of Sumire. The curly medium thick bright yellow noodles are supposedly custom to the bowl as well and easily held its firmness the duration. The menma is also cut thicker than usual. They were thick like domino pieces. Crunchy delicious.




This bowl I'd consider an "enthusiasts model," not for the faint of heart and fitting for an atmosphere like the Raumen Museum with curious geeky noodle fans about. When the soup is this rich the lines of a ramen vs. a tsuke men does seem to get blurred. Glad I got to try it. My upper limit to Kotteri flavors have definitely been tested.



Hope you enjoyed the series. Now to go get some lunch! :)

3 comments:

K and S said...

I could've used some ramen today, it was cold! that sure was a lot of lard on top.

OkiHwn said...

Sheesh, all that ramen looks fantastic!

caninecologne said...

that is so rad! a ramen museum!


word ver:

senti


okay....i got nuthin'....