Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Three Random Turkey Dinners

I guess sometimes I'm just in the mood for roast turkey drowned in brown gravy. Or more often I can crave stuffing during the off Holiday seasons. Had these in my queue forever and felt it was just time, sorry so random. Turkey Dinner Tuesday!? And it's practically Wednesday.

First is from Rudfords off El Cajon Blvd. I haven't been here in like forever. The photo is at least three years old. I think this was a Sunday special.



Fairly dry turkey and nothing too remarkable except for the quantity. But somehow the photo remains one of my favorites till this day. I remember two prostitute-ish ladies behind me talking about traveling or something else. You get an array of people at this 24-hr neighborhood diner. Great people watching if you're into that. Speaking of...

Next from SD Chicken Pie Shop. I've done fairly lengthy nerd posts on them here and here. The stuffing which they call dressing was the bready, celery and the sage spiked kind, yay. But it was very mushy, boo. The turkey was very moist and fresh tasting, yay! Comes with soup, their roll that's baked daily and even dessert (which I actually passed on), all for under eight dollars.



The entire plate felt under seasoned so I remember giving the salt shaker a little workout. The turkey was fresh tasting enough that I'd probably order it again someday. I chose split pea for the soup. The Roast Turkey with Dressing plate is a Sunday only special.



Last, I hate bagging on large chains because everyone does it and it just feels silly sometimes. Like what did you really expect?? This day I was naively tempted by Denny's limited time Turkey Dinner plate that started around the Holidays. Apparently there were choices of sides which the waiter didn't ask me about. Came with corn! Oh the horror.



I had him correct it but the turkey was the vacuum sealed kind with that distinctive hammy texture and flavor. Loved the ridges of the cranberry sauce from the tin can. Very classy. The stuffing that eventually came on a separate plate had no gravy and was too little too late. Oh yeah, then they tried to charge me extra for it! Haven't been back since but I'll probably get a Grand Slam craving eventually. We'll see.



Of these three small samplings (all within blocks from one another in fact, haha) gotta go with SD Chicken Pie Shop's. The waitress knows me and lets me sit in the booth next to the windows when it's not too busy. Winner Winner Turkey Dinner!

8 comments:

kirbie said...

I've had a serious craving for turkey lately! I have yet to eat at the SD Chicken Pie Shop. I need to go there.

Mary said...

I haven't had the turkey from the SD Chicken Pie shop. I usually get a pot pie. I love their other pies, too. Maybe I just love pie...

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kirbie! That's funny about Kirbie's turkey craving. ;) As for SDCPS, I'm not sure I'd really recommend anything but their pot pies. It's packed meat with some chicken gravy (nothing else like peas, carrots, potatoes, etc..). I also find it very beautiful to look at. :)

Hi Mary! That might be a good thing. Except for the pot pie SDCPS' menu is a big gamble. You're guaranteed to leave full though and without breaking the bank.

K and S said...

ah the "hammy" type of turkey...I just miss mashed potatoes with gravy, that is something KFC doesn't serve here.

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kat, I never noticed that about KFCs in Japan! I don't know. I'd still trade KFC's with you any day. I noticed they had a new Pari Pari chicken out. drool

K and S said...

the jandare chicken was good, kochujang shoyu sauce. I liked the individual piece rather than the jandare sandwich.

OkiHwn said...

Hey, it's what DFAC had today. Didn't have my camera so took some pixs with my phone. Gotta figure out how to download now. Was pretty good - turkey, dressing, mash potatoes and scratch gravy, along with steamed brocoli.

Dennis K. said...

The chicken pieces did look good Kat!

Hi Nate, scratch gravy is always so much better! I'm surprised you forgot your camera.. ;)