Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Early Bird: Mystic Mocha

No matter what the weather is like I need my Ice Coffee in the morning to get me going. I'm blessed to be surrounded by at least four coffee shops all walking distance in my neighborhood and I try to show the privately owned businesses support by rotating out my visits more or less equally. Having said that I might have a particular bias to Mystic Mocha, and not saying cause they happen to be the closest.



The staff is always super cool and they take the extra mile to make sure you get what you want.



This hazy weekend day a small cup of chilled whole milk accompanied my made to order oatmeal breakfast with an assortment of fresh berries.



Another day their signature buttermilk pancake with blueberries and... Can we throw in some chocolate chips?? Why not.



The thicker pancakes made over a heavy cast iron skillet are fluffy and bomb. If you're extra hungry you can get a double order without costing much extra.



No shots of fancy drinks today, I'm pretty faithful to my ice coffee. Other menu items are breakfast wraps with scrambles, quesadillas and several different hearty chilaquiles. I like the blue corn chip version myself.



The egg yolk whore that I am I make concession that they seem to only do their eggs scrambled. They're a coffee shop and not a diner after all and they're buttery muffins that are always ridiculously delicious surely make up for it.



Street parking and if you don't like dealing with rushes you might want to come real early or maybe a little later past the brunch rush. But not too late, they close at 4PM.

Mystic Mocha, 2105 Mission Avenue, San Diego, CA 92116

2 comments:

Mary said...

That looks like one awesome bowl of oatmeal. I love breakfast. I wish I had the will to get up earlier to make proper breakfast every day.

Dennis K. said...

Hi Mary, the owners at Mystic Mocha are hands on and are really into the success of their business. Their breakfast looks like that everyday! These days a nice fresh of air.

I know what you mean, I'm going to do a breakfast post that I cooked myself one of these days... :)