Saturday, April 2, 2011

Nijiya Udon - $3.50 Poka Poka Dinner

Dropped by Nijiya Market last night for a looksy for a quick dinner. I haven't been here in at least two weeks which is a longer stretch.



As my usual ritual I was OCD photo-documenting anything new I'd come across, intended purchases or not. In the bento section I noticed a newer Ten-don. The Deluxe Hamburg Bento looked attractive but I detailed a hybrid Naporitan tucked in one of the raidused corners and went my merrily way toward the salads. I've really been into eating fresh greens recently.



But glancing up I noticed a cute printed sign that spelled Ni-Ji-Ya-U-Do-N.



Nijiya was selling hot Udon and Soba in the back. I'm so game. The standard is $3.50 with an all you want topping selection of wakame, katsuobushi, fresh negi, and tenkasu. They'll prepare it for you to-go, the soup and udon in separate containers, but had mine for here. Been getting pretty warm during the days but nights are still cooler. Perfect for some hot poka poka udon.



*ポカポカ* The noodles weren't bad at all with a noticeable chew and the slippery sensation called nodogoshi nice and clean. For the price the broth seemed fairly decent though next time I'll be using the free bonito flakes a little more liberally to help bolster the dashi. All in all for $3.50 a pretty fair deal I thought.



I just love it when places try new things. :)



For $0.50 extra you can get either a Sansai (mountain vegetable) or Kitsune version (with Aburaage topping) while the combination with what's available in the deli section would also be fun to mix and match. Half done onsen tamago to tempuras. My choice would be one of their big crunchy croquettes though... :)

I'll be back for some soba, maybe even eat it standing tachigui style. And when the weather does kick in to full summer mode, I'm hoping there'll be a cold option Nijiya? ;)

Nijiya Market, 3860 Convoy St (# 109), San Diego, CA 92111

11 comments:

caninecologne said...

what is a mountain vegetable?

Dennis K. said...

Hi CC, they refer to a few types of vegetables, I think many are in the fern family. If you ordered sansai soba in the past you might've noticed a curly looking one in the medley. That one is called zenmai. I'm not too familiar with the rest. I always thought they remind me of plants in the Yellow Submarine video, haha.

caninecologne said...

thanks.

i is ig'nant when it comes to japanese food.

K and S said...

was definitely a pokapoka meal kind of day today...too bad they don't let you get some of their croquettes on the side...

Cliff said...

wow $3.50 is a great deal for that it seems.

Dennis K. said...

No problem CC. And thanks, I had a great time with the CV crawl today!! Can't wait to do the marathon epic post, haha.

Hi Kat, it was up to 85F on Friday day. Cooled down at night though. Next time something fried is definitely accompanying my soba or udon. :)

Hi Cliff, the ~$3 price is normal for Japan tachigui soba/udon but yeah, was surprised to see it as low here, especially SD. The quality was nothing unordinary but still neat to see something new tried. Hope they start a cold version soon as well.

OkiHwn said...

My mago and family go quite often to the Nijiya Market here for bentos. They bring home for me!

kaszeta said...

Did the Udon at Nijiya today. That's a nice feed for $3.50.

Dennis K. said...

Hey Kaszeta! Were you just here?? Or is there a Nijiya out in your area? I hope you did more than the udon! Will definitely be looking forward to reading your posts.

kaszeta said...

Dennis: my planned day long trip down from Temecula to San Diego turned into more of a quick "morning dash". Nijiya was actually pretty close to our destination (Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve), so it made for a nice snack.

I've got to come do San Diego again and do it properly one of these days...

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kaszeta! Yeah if you're ever down here again and your schedule permits, we gotta do something! Cheers