Friday, April 8, 2011

A Tachigui Lunch @ Nijiya - And Some Ramblings

Sprinkling a little rain off and on here tonight and feeling like posting something. After all it's Friday..(!) And I can sleep in tomorrow and maybe go out for a late breakfast.



After my cheap and fun Udon experience at Nijiya last week I came back for some hot Soba. I had my mind set to have it with one of these $1 hefty vegetable Korokke. Had my mind set eating it standing up Tachigui style too. Na-na-neeerd alert.



The nice thing about coming for lunch instead of dinner is that they'd be made relatively fresh (and true for most of their bentos and especially onigiris which aren't great cold). Also look at this beaut below, a pork Tonkatsu Sandwich. In addition to the sauce looks like they've started to use mayo on these (I know, I obsess about details like that, haha).



Better would be with butter instead though with a light smear of mustard for a more classic Katsu Sando taste. Nijiya needs a good old fashion suggestion box.
These packaged spaghetti were a first. I noticed it's what was used as radiused corner stuffers in their bentos. Previously thought it was a Naporitan but I'd categorize them now more as spaghetti twirled in some Japanese meat sauce.



Naporitans with ground beef do exist though, as are some cut with tomato sauce or demi glace.
But back to my soba...



Too bad I couldn't report tonight that it's 100% organic in a closer to Nijiya personality (I asked), but again I wouldn't be complaining too much with its $3.50 price. The Mexican lady on duty had severely overcooked my soba noodles but I liked how she was adamant how my bowl had to have a lid over it. I'm guessing some mandate from public health what not. She was cool though. Oh I also got one of these Squid/Vegetable fries too. Mmm, B-kyu.



It was also only a buck and had bits of squid in a softer doughy filling with some vegetables. Was a bit squidy but kinda liked it, probably cause it was deep fried. I would also be putting a little extra bonito flakes in the soba's broth along with the wakame topping to let steep. A bit guerrilla tactics but I was pretty successful in bolstering the dashi flavor of the soup.



Me eating tachigui standing. At least I wasn't walking which I've done that before.



Nijiya Market, 3860 Convoy St (# 109), San Diego, CA 92111

A preview clip of Tachiguishi-Retsuden.



The 2006 film was actually inspired by episodes from the 80's anime Urusei Yatsura series. Part 1, Part 2, Part 3. Man, that was some quality Japanese anime. Too bad embedding was disabled with these. Good night.

2 comments:

caninecologne said...

hi dennis - is a "korokke" the same as a "croquette"? gosh, everything sounds cuter in japanese!

if those are croquette, i love those! i've had the potato/curry ones before (i think at nijiya). i like the crunchy coating!

Dennis K. said...

Hi CC, haha yeah there are only very subtle Japanese specifics to korokke but it's the same as croquette. Korokke used to often be sold at butchers in Japan where they made frugal use of stray end cuts of meats to mince and incorporate with the mashed potato filling. Also these days using a coarser grate of bread crumb nama panko are fashionable maybe, ones you find here at Nijiya. But once in a while I'll come across the fine bread crumbed kind (Mitsuwa's deli sells these). They get soggy fast and I find them not as tasty.