Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Lady's Set Bento(?) @ Mitsuwa Torrance

We have another Umaimono Gourmet Fair coming up at Mitsuwa this week. Read more about it here. Tatsunoya will be back with their delicious Tonkotsu Ramen at Costa Mesa and Hokkaido's Kitahama Shoten will be at the Torrance store. I'm curious of the latter where they're a bit of an underdog without even a blip on the supleks ramendb radar at the moment... Should be fun eats as usual though.

I was at the Torrance store today for other reasons. Will post eventually but I got up unusually early for a Sunday and just decided to drive up on a whim.

Mitsuwa Torrance's food court is huge but the place to me also has some inexplicable charm, maybe since it's the flagship store and all. I also found the Bento's to be quite different.



Spam Katsu Musubi. Just as you were getting bored of your so ordinary Teriyaki glazed variety, a panko breaded version here to save the day. Only sandwiched along with some healthy lettuce of course to offset the otherwise somewhat State Fair-ish inspiration. (But that would probably be a deep fried katsu musubi on a stick...)



The most puzzling Bento for the day goes to this one called the "Lady's Set." As I once in a while inadvertently find myself over at the women's side of [insert chain clothing brand store], did I wander over to the women's bento section?



And I've never been more attracted to a packaged meal. An Omurice with Demi Glace flavored rice. Generous serving of Japanese ketchup flavored Naporitan Spaghetti, Pumpkin Salad (as in Potato Salad), and a Gratin Croquette (Korokke).

And look at this Karaage Bento. A very good portion and beautiful to look at. Mitsuwa San Diego needs to follow.



The in-house bakery was fantastic too. And everything was very affordable!



Ah, the Double Carbo Whammy of Yakisoba-Pan. That's Yakisoba stuffed in a soft roll. Always reminds me of hanging out with friends after soccer practice when I see one. なつかしい〜、とほほ。。



They also had all the usuals such as Katsu-Sando and Curry Pan, but an Egg Salad Donut??? I have to say it did get me curious. And when you stuff a deep fried Vegetable Croquette into bread dough and bake, you have yourself a Croquette (Korokke) Pan. Maybe I'm much better off with these farther away from me!

Mitsuwa Market (Torrance), 21515 Western Avenue, Torrance, CA 90501

6 comments:

K and S said...

yummy stuff! wondering why they call that a lady's set bento though...

KirkK said...

Hey Dennis - I agree about that "San Diego" needs to follow comment. Mitsuwa San Diego seems to have fallen behind with regards to bentos.

caninecologne said...

hi dennis - i love croquettes! i love almost any kind of fried stuff!

liked your writing for 'the lady's set'. interesting why that kind of food is for chicks only? no men's set? you know they have men's pocky right? :)

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kat! I was puzzled too...

Hi Kirk! Yeah SD Mitsuwa's bentos has quite a bit of catching up to do. I can't remember the last I purchased one there...

Hi CC! Men's pocky does sound funny here, I think it was bitter chocolate coated? I don't know, I was really interested in that Lady's Set, haha. ;)

kish said...

first time reader. instant fan! great food blog. i love katsu musubi. such a rare find. hahaha

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kish thanks! I sure don't get comments like that everyday haha. :)