Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Lunch Munch: Mangia Mangia Gourmet Italian Food Truck

♪ Dennis having Pasta un-der a tree...



♪ A-m-ay-Z-i-n-gee...




The food was great but I have to say on a day like this the experience of casually eating scratch made Italian food under the blanket of a tree is a very neat thing. Mangia Mangia has been stopping by General Atomics on Mondays and since I work close by I decided to check them out once last week and a second time yesterday.

It's been exactly a year since I did my quick local sweep post of fusion/gourmet food trucks in SD, and I can't believe the numbers since increased close to tenfold. You can keep track of them on sdfoodtrucks.com, and of course your favorites you can follow on Twitter.



Spaghetti and Meatballs. I said why not. Comes with a delicious garlic bread for $9.



The sauce was on the tangy side with small chunks of garlic and very fresh tasting. Can say was a bit over my food truck lunch budget but portions were large and was quite filling.



Marko the owner is a fantastic character and I'd almost want to return just to experience his friendly company.



Second visit yesterday, I was tempted in getting one of their signature lasagnas but went for an Italian Sausage Panini Sandwich ($7).



Comes with a side of fries or salad. Just a month ago I would've immediately gone for the fries but I'm a slightly newer guy now. So unfortunately it may also be a while until I try their Meatball Lollipops (batter-fried meatball on a stick!).



Great lunch again. The sausage was grilled nicely with a really great sear to it and was very flavorful on top. Between a fresh toasted Italian Roll and some marinara sauce, you really can't go wrong. I definitely enjoyed the the salad of mixed greens with the lightly sweet house vinaigrette dressing as well.



Fun and tasty truck. Next time the Lasagna (!) especially since Marie of Meandering Eats had tweeted about it. Turns out we were there the same hour!

Mangia Mangia Gourmet Italian Food Truck Website
Mangia Truck on Twitter

4 comments:

K and S said...

deep fried meatballs...mmm!

kish said...

the spaghetti + meatballs look a bit dry, but looks like a fun way to eat it.

mmmm italian sausage paninis.

moowiesqrd said...

It's a small world, isn't it? :) I'll see you here again for sure!

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kat! I think it comes with a marinara dip. :)

Hi Kish, I don't know they look pretty moist to me (and they were). Having said that I feel you get more your money's worth with the sandwiches and lasagna.

Hi Marie, next time I'll say hello! I wasn't 100% it was you.. :)