Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Salabration: A Week Of Salads - Duck Larb @ Sab-E-Lee

Day three, sharing a Duck Larb from The Original Sab-E-Lee in Linda Vista.



The Larb is a Northeastern Thai (Isan) / Laotian spicy sour meat salad of sorts. Despite the naming it's a lot healthier than it sounds and also a super satisfying flavor and textural contrast party Soul Train. Savory (in this case) minced duck contrasted with a very light sweet, a good punchy sour, even some toasty notes with the roasted ground rice, and a Whole Lot of spicy anchored further with par crisp red onions and fresh herby mint. I got mine spicy level-5 and was cruising half way until I realized it packed plenty more heat than I first gave credit, the kind that slowly creeps up on you.




Their Pork or Catfish Larb would be healthier yet if you're counting calories but for me the version with slight fatty minced duck I find my favorite. Along with a few bites of the sweet wedge of raw cabbage between sticky rice breaks, a delightful well balanced meal.

My few meals at Sab-E-Lee 2 in Santee here.

Original Sab-E-Lee, 2405 Ulric St, San Diego, CA 92111

9 comments:

K and S said...

sounds spicy but good!

Su-Lin said...

I've had pork larb and chicken larb but never a duck larb - it sounds good!

Vicki said...

I love Sab-E-Lee's duck larb! Thanks for reminding me that I need to go back soon!

caninecologne said...

hi dennis - too bad they don't have a burmese restaurant here - you could try tea leaf salad.

haven't had duck larb before - looks good though. i've had pork larb at asia cafe and didn't care for it.

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kat! The 1-10 scale is a little skewed here where I don't think I'd want to go beyond a five. Other Thai spots I can go 7 or 8...

Hi Su-Lin! Yeah I love how the duck larb is just guilty enough for me but still overall very healthy. :)

Hi Vicki! It was actually my first time at Sab-E-Lee-1. But I've been to the Santee location a few times.

Hi CC! Hmm, maybe Larbs aren't your thing..? My friends and I have been wanting to try Asia Cafe for a long while but never made it there yet. One of these days...

Carol said...

Yum, duck larb. I haven't been to Sab-e-lee in months!

kish said...

sounds very very unique. no idea what larb is, but sounds crazy dope

caninecologne said...

dude you have to go to asia cafe! two words - nem khao!

word ver:

thyanize

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to thyanize your dog.

Dennis K. said...

Hi Carol! I'll probably be visiting the Santee location soon myself. It's been too long! :)

Hi Kish! I have to be in the right mood because it's rather sour (always in the mood for spicy hot) but I really enjoy larbs.

Hi CC, I'll be sure to try it! :)