Monday, July 18, 2011

My $3 Hiyashi Soba Dinner @ Nijiya

Three dollars for either a Hiyashi Soba or Udon at Nijiya Market. The Hot Soba is now down to $2.50.(!)



They were unfortunately out of the $0.50 grated Oroshi Daikon option tonight but I was fine as I piled on the free Tenkasu tempura bits, Wakame seaweed, Katsuobushi bonito flakes, and fine minced Negi scallions to my heart's desire.



Comes with a packet of wasabi and the same mentsuyu pouch that's included in their chilled soba and tempura bentos which I enjoy the flavor of.



The noodles are cooked to order. The rinse wasn't chilling cold but adequate, good enough for the price. Affordable enough in fact that next time I could add a poached onsen tamago or even a tempura and still be under five.

In any case never let anyone tell you what you can or can't put on your Soba/Udon. I think some felt my last addition of potato croquette may have been odd but the link here would prove them wrong. Welcome to blue-collar Japanese working class eating! ;)

Nijiya Market, 3860 Convoy St (# 109), San Diego, CA 92111

4 comments: