Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Early Bird: A Breakfast @ The Trails Neighborhood Eatery

Even though I am now officially an early bird, 7:45AM for a Sunday is still a bit sweepy for me. But skipping dinner the night before can do funny things to a man. A gloomy morning, even a tad chilly for August in San Diego. Perfect hearty breakfast weather.



I've been wanting to trek out to The Trails Eatery, because it was once Megan's Cafe, the one and only place I could find in SD that served "Home Fries" prepared the way I sentimentally remembered them. Fried circular slices of potatoes cut thin on a mandoline.



Portions may have changed but I was really glad to see they've kept these. Are the shape of my fried potatoes that important and do they make that much a difference? Maybe not as insanely as how the Italians are with their pastas but my answer to that would be a firm YES. The cubed or chunky, sometimes rosemarried kind are "Country Fried Potatoes." Good in their own way, but let's not get the two confused.



Aside from the small superficial blemish my over-easy eggs were near perfect. The whites maybe slightly runny for some but I don't mind that. The barrel shaped sausages seemed almost deep fried where the textured fried edges were evenly distributed around the entire link. Certainly nothing to complain about. ;)



I actually didn't mind the look of Megan's before the redo in the unpretentious 'breakfast place in a strip mall' kind of way. But I could be weird like that and the updated interior, a result of a recent go with the people at the Food Network's Restaurant Impossible definitely fits the adorable now hip Ranch Style homes scattered about the hills of Del Cerro. While I'm curious to check out the rest of the menu (I remember the Chicken Fried Steak being great) with updated options for the health conscious, it'll be those potatoes that I'll be after. I shall be back, especially on a weekday when they have their great deal early bird specials. :)

The Trails Eatery, 7389 Jackson Dr, San Diego, CA 92119

2 comments:

OkiHwn said...

how much?

Dennis K. said...

Hi Nate! Wasn't bad, around $8. The early bird specials start at $3.99.