Friday, August 12, 2011

Me Summer Yakitori Gear!

Summer is here. Got my binchotan charcoal burning Shichirin from Marukai on sale early this year (here's Kirk's post in case you missed it) and friends from Japan had also got me my coveted tare-tsubo sauce pot. I am now complete for some soon to be Yakitori grilling action.



I even picked up two cold rolled square steel bars from Industrial Metal Supply as spacers (I personally don't like my skewers touching the mesh) and what'd you know the precut 12" length fit my grill exactly.



If I remember right they cost me around $5 for both. Lightly filed down the sharp edges, cleaned the grime with mineral spirits then washed with soap and water.



I've also been researching yakitori sauce (tare) recipes for some time. I'll be making this in a much larger mother pot to let sit and mature and refill the smaller tare-tsubo as needed. This particular linear tare-tsubo variety is named after Japanese Rakkyo pickling but the size and depth is more than perfect for my purpose.



I love it and I can't wait to finally break these in. Everything is too new and shiny looking! ;)



4 comments:

K and S said...

nice gear! was that a helicopter flying over your tsubo shot?!

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kat! Drew all that in my empty tsubo, haha. To be filled with real stuff soon. :)

kirbie said...

I'm in love with that bunny with the hot dog sticking out of its mouth

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kirbie! I lost all of the attachments to that Kozik Labbit vinyl and only have the hot dog. I bet you can still find them online.