Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Early Bird: Adam's Steak 'N Eggs

Adam's Steak 'N Eggs is one of the few quirky breakfast joints lined along Hotel Circle that seem to mainly cater a split clientele of out of town business travelers and more casual local regulars on their way to work. Open from 6:30AM on weekdays, it's the breakfast half of the shared building and assumed same owner Albie's Beef Inn, live band karaoke eclectic dinner venue of sorts.



Judging by the exterior the Bavarian country bar meets American breakfast diner fusion inside can be unexpected. A nice collection of alcoholic drinks meant as classic hangover cures list the left half of the menu. Screw Drivers, the Ramos Fizz, of course your Bloody Mary, and even Milk Punch.



Their namesake Steak 'N Eggs not surprisingly is popular but sharing instead the Hamburger Steak 'N Eggs plate ($9) that happened to be more in the mood for. The gouge to the side I'm guessing was from the cook checking its doneness? There are less obtrusive methods but I guess only one absolutely sure way.



I know by now non-Japanese hamburger steaks (and Loco Moco's) aren't usually fillerized and not the fluffy Japanese Hambaagu that I've grown up to love. Instead with a completely different profile, it's the substantially beefy flavor experience an all-beef patty can only provide. Was cooked past the medium I had asked but definitely the better non-Japanese Hamburger Steaks I've tried to date, I consumed the entire finer ground top sirloin burger with only a dash of salt and occasional smidgen of tangy salsa provided.



The Hash Browns which they simply call "Potatoes" here are not the usual stringy cuts but more square and chunky like delicious fried potato confetti. Eggs were perfectly done Over Easy as asked and the tasty thick cut buttered Texas Toast how I wish all are everywhere. Haven't explored the rest of their menu too much but I remember their sausage links to be good, a nicely sagey skinned variety with a subtle snap.



Adam's Steak 'n Eggs, 1201 Hotel Circle S, San Diego, CA 92108

6 comments:

kaszeta said...

I was actually wondering about this place, since I've stayed in nearby hotels. I might check it out next time I'm in town (although I'll likely search out a Mexican breakfast joint)

Carol said...

Hi Dennis! You always find the neatest diners/breakfast places. I had to look up what milk punch was. Interesting...

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kaszeta! Hope you're doing well. ASNE is one of those quirky local places with decent food, better than some. But it might be hard for me recommending going out of ones way for the place. Let me know next time you're in town! We gotta meet up.

Hi Carol, actually I had to too, haha. I love the vibe here. The food is decent and they're open earlier than most.

Mary said...

Texas toast! Man, a lot of places do not serve that anymore. Also had to look up milk punch. Think I would pass on that.

OkiHwn said...

Brown gravy would make it over the top!

Dennis K. said...

Hi Mary! Yeah the toast was nice and lightly sweet, not dry for once. The should serve toast that way everywhere.

Hi Nate, you're right! Brown gravy would've been great. You almost need it since American 100% beef hamburger steaks tend to be drier and leaner. I'm craving a loco moco now...