Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Early Bird: Breakfast @ K Sandwiches

Did you know K Sandwiches is open as early as 6AM?! The newly reformed morning person that I now am decided to drop in for a quick bite one early morning.



I remember the first time I devoured a bowl of Vietnamese Pho, was nineteen at the time and just discovering L.A. The Banh Mi sandwich however by some freak mischievous play of chance I wouldn't run into until as recent as five years ago. Still remember the day, randomly deciding to drop in K Sandwiches in Linda Vista / Kearny Mesa (cause the building kinda stood out). Ordered this fusion-ey rice flour baguette BBQ Pork sandwich with sweet pickled radish, thin Scoville slices of jalapeno, and always favorite Cilantro. And voila, I was hooked.



Googled later the day to find what I had and its name. While I've since been on the lookout for lighter, tastier, better, faster, stronger... For this reason KS will always have that special place in my heart. It's the shop where I had my first Banh Mi experience.



Anyway back to this visit, despite the impressively early opening, would be that they didn't have one with Egg on their menu (they do have breakfast croissants however). But the super friendly cashiers seemed to be more than happy to add some to any sandwich for me.



I ended getting the No. 4 Cold Cut with. Somehow felt asking for the eggs over-easy would be pushing my luck but the scramble was light and fluffy enough. On hind sight, not sure the Thit Nguoi which in addition to ham has head cheese and smear of pate was the best base to transform into a breakfast sandwich but it definitely wasn't bad and fared really well to hit the spot I was craving the morning.



Mind you I haven't tried the one with Sardines in Tomato sauce, I haven't met a banh mi that I didn't like yet. And since most are still well under three dollars here, it's always been fun to experiment at K's.

K Sandwiches, 7604 Linda Vista Rd, San Diego, CA, 92111

5 comments:

Jenne said...

I always love K Sandwiches! I was there the other day and thought the bread was better than it used to be.

Meandering Eats said...

I've been swinging by to pick up lunch on my way to work in the mornings. Thank goodness they're open early! The downside is that their Vietnamese iced coffee can be disappointing, but otherwise, K's is always a good stop.

Dennis K. said...

Hi Jenne, it's always really fun to visit here! Yeah, I think the bread is lighter maybe? I might have some tomorrow... ;)

Hi Marie! There's certainly better but I'd be fine with their iced coffee if they'd remember to serve it unsweetened as I ask, haha. I'm guessing most people don't ask for it that way.

Junichi said...

I've had their sardine sandwich before. It was pretty tasty. Would definitely order it again. The pork meatball is always good too.

Dennis K. said...

Hi Junichi! Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to try the sardine banh mi next time for sure. :)