Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Early Bird: A Japanese Breakfast @ Hinotez

[Update: Hinotez now opens from 8AM and also serves morning ramen.]

7:29AM Balboa Ave. Always wished for one. Hinotez must be the first Japanese Restaurant to open early enough to serve breakfast in San Diego. Since yesterday from 7AM, and I hope they keep it up because I plan to come often. [Check out another visit here.]



Waiting until a few more visits to share my lunches here but quickly met up with a friend this morning to check out this new breakfast gig of theirs. The ordering method is somewhat similar to Okan's lunch. A starter or 'basic set' consisting of a bowl of Rice, Miso Soup, Hiyayakko, Pickles and packet of Nori seaweed starts at 3-bucks (but now $2 for a limited time until the end of the month), while there then are several many $1~2 options that you can add to your hearts content. Current full menu here.



Myself, went for a poached Onsen Tamago ($1) for the yolkage I needed and a second Ginger Pork dish which was one of the specials ($2). My friend had the Curry which I later tasted and thought was pretty good with some ground meat, possibly inspired some by Sakura's version.



Were all pretty tasty with only initial additional thoughts that maybe portions could have been larger somewhat, especially the Hiyayakko which I swallowed whole. In actuality though most asagohan in Japan are no larger than this and it was the nice lighter alternative to fried bacon and eggs that I was in fact hoping for. New breakfast option success.

Lunch and dinner, the actual grilling of Yakitori skewers will not be happening until their liquor license goes through. Until then they will be serving the same menu for dinner offered at lunch which include Udon/Soba, Bento Combos, Curry, Ramen, Sushi Rolls and Appetizers.



So far so good, and what I can say for breakfast... Hinotez, let's do this.

Hinotez Japanese Restaurant, 7947 Balboa Ave, San Diego, CA 92111

[I've since posted on a first look lunch meals that can be read here.]

6 comments:

OkiHwn said...

Such a deal! Your choice looks terriffic!

KirkK said...

So Dennis, any sign of what I call tamago meshi aka tamago kake gohan???

K and S said...

looks good!

Dennis K. said...

Hi Nate! Yeah it was a bit hard to choose. I like the slimy stuff too and there's tororo and okra.

Hi Kirk! No, but closest thing would be the onsen tamago which I'm fine with. :)

Hi Kat! I'm looking forward to my next visit.. :)

caninecologne said...

hi dennis - i've never had Japanese breakfast before, so thanks for the info on this place. the prices are right too!

Dennis K. said...

Hi CC! Portions are small and most things seemed simply reheated, but I liked that for once I didn't have crazy post breakfast food coma, haha. It's a nice option to have I think.