Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Early Bird: Rancheros Eggs With Lamb Barbacoa @ El Borrego

Time was ~9:30AM but for a Sunday anything before ten is early for me. My breakfast a Huevos Rancheros topped with some lamb barbacoa, the brilliancy courtesy of yours truly.



The ranchero sauce was extremely fresh tasting with spritely flavors of tomatoes giving only a light tartness. I'd love to take a pint of it home (also along with their awesomely fresh green and red salsas in those squeeze bottles). The lamb here has always been mild in that distinct gaminess for whatever reason. While I'd personally prefer some that are a little more pungent it's definitely perfect for people who tends to find it a challenge.



Since it was the weekend I didn't want to miss the opportunity to have some Pancita tacos which are only available then. Always comforting to hear the patting sound of handmade tortillas.



The finely minced sheep stomach has some nice spice kick and a natural tenderness that can only come from a long attended slow stew. I might just get these by weight next time and bring them over to friends for dinner along with a bottle of good wine.



Weird, I didn't remember posting an update on El Borrego this year but I had one paired with Tacos El Poblano in Chula Vista back in March. My Part One post of El Borrego here and Part Two here. Menu here (prices subjected to change).

El Borrego Restaurant, 4280 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego, CA 92115

3 comments:

K and S said...

nom!

Mike said...

I love huevos rancheros, and those look great! The barbacoa must really take them over the top.

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kat! It was good. :)

Hi Mike! I'm somehow incomplete without a meat contribution for breakfast. Anyway, as I was eating these I remembered your post!