Saturday, November 12, 2011

I ♥ Nashville - A Cheeseburger @ Brown's Diner

Wow this rain has been total writing previous draft editing weather. Anyway the second day turned out to be a round two of good burgers. Skipping to dinner but the cheeseburger served at Brown's Diner I've read up to be a long disputed city's best and made it an easy must try.



Hole-in-the-wall.., Dive.., A spot off the beaten path... All phrases perfectly apply to Brown's which started out as a trailer perched on an inconspicuous corner parking lot off 21st and Blaire in Vanderbilt. One instance online the place was referred to as a 'Diner Tavern' which I feel is probably most fitting as it may have more a feeling of a neighborhood bar than restaurant.






The few pickles that top the bun to me was visually reminiscent of how barbecue sandwiches are often served in the city. But aside from it, a burger at Brown's is as classic as it gets. Some say the stripped down simplified kind that would be illustrated in a comic, or in my case I imagine the iconic kind that would come up in the dictionary when the word is looked up.



A good heft six ounce beef patty with a beautiful flat char from the griddle is paired with fresh tomato, shredded lettuce and full slice of raw onion that some may ask for grilled but gave the sandwich a nice bite which is the way I prefer. The lightly mayo'd toasted buns are of course those familiar round spongy style that every bite melts like manna, only contributing to the golden ratio of carbs-to-meat and nothing of unnecessary excess. The patty was cooked through to Medium-well as how my burger at Rotier's was. Next time I'd probably be asking for medium but the nice third-pound patty was still fairly juicy throughout.



There was a three piece band playing on the original trailer side of the bar that I forgot to take a photo of. Made me want to pick up drums again. I love how you can find live music almost anywhere in the city. A typical weekend night at Brown's Diner was no exception.

Brown's Diner, 2102 Blair Blvd, Nashville, TN 37212

2 comments:

K and S said...

been enjoying your nashville posts..yummy!

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kat, thanks!