Saturday, November 19, 2011

I ♥ Nashville - A Pulled Turkey Sandwich @ Hog Heaven BBQ

I probably first heard of Hog Heaven when doing an early quick "BBQ in Nashville" google query, but have to admit what did me in for actual plans to visit was an article about the Pulled Turkey with White BBQ Sauce on a "Best Thing I Ever Ate" episode. I guess I still find myself easily influenced by famous television personalities no matter how jaded I get of the Food Network, haha. But anyway due to the place's hours it wouldn't be until the final evening before heading back to the airport that I would make it.



I've only seen older photos of the order window style brick shack which I personally found very charming but they've since have hired a professional graphic designer to slick things up. Can't say is a bad thing, the place located by Centennial Park and the demographics seemingly younger here, college and early career types. Maybe the original hand drawn piggy is still on the wall around the corner but I forgot to look.



I didn't know what to expect of "White Barbecue Sauce." By then I knew it was an Alabama thing, something mayo based instead of tomato.



I'm glad I came without much presumptions because there was nothing really too complicated about it to me, just good eats. The looser tangy white sauce probably complements poultry the best, similar to how wings are often dipped in Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing. I got the sandwich with slaw again and I think it's a must now how both the sweetness and crunch goes especially well with pulled meats.



You can definitely taste the smoke in the pulled turkey but nothing overbearingly so. The onion bun did a great job of holding everything nicely and gave the sandwich some additional flavor of sweetness. As with Mary's, you have an option of having with corncakes here too which I probably should try some day. The sauces Hog Heaven uses by Big Bob Gibson can be purchased there but trying to stay with only carry on my flight back I had to resist the temptation. Won't be making the same mistake as I did once with a cheap airline that charges for checking in luggage. Forgetting I couldn't bring on board in any liquids, that was one expensive bottle of BBQ Sauce! :P

Hog Heaven BBQ, 15 27th Ave North, Nashville, TN 37203

5 comments:

K and S said...

looks good!

KirkK said...

Hey Dennis - I actually drove o Big Bob Gibson's when I worked in Columbus, Ga....it indeed very tasty....

Dennis K. said...

Thanks Kat!

Hi Kirk, that's cool. Don't you wish sometimes you blogged all your life? I do... :)

caninecologne said...

i like the name of this place, HOG HEAVEN! awesome!

haha, the word ver is:

Cormhol

"I am CORMHOLIO!" (supposed to be 'Cornholio', from Beavis and Butthead)

Dennis K. said...

Hi CC, yeah I like the double meaning too. Heaven for hog lovers, but also the heaven where all good hogs go.. ;)