Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Quick Sunday Post (That I Finally Downloaded Instagram For...)

An oversize ceramic Big Mac piggy bank - $10. I take that back, could be the original Big Boy.



Glazed in bright colors and very kitschy. You know you want one... Made in Mexico. Spotted at Cali Baguette Express (ECB) of all places. Their nick-nacks section seems to be expanding. Lunch from there was a foot long Banh Mi Xiu Mai - $3.25, and those twofer Cha Gio egg rolls (smooth wrapper today) - $1.

Cali Baguette Express, 5125 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego, CA 92115

Later the day I had this crazy intense craving for that came out of nowhere. So dinner was a Roast Duck Egg Noodles Soup, aka No. 13, at Hing Ky Mi Gia (their sign still says "Tan Ki Mi Gia") up the street. Was a nice fill for $6.50.



Asked for extra flat leaf chives and those wonderful pork cracklins (they don't call it that for nothing!). Tonight the duck was pretty decent and the amber soup was spot on (past visits here and here). This was great. I think coming in late the evening may have helped, at least for the soup. Note to self.

Hing Ky Mi Gia, 5237 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego, CA 92115

7 comments:

K and S said...

love these shots :)

CAB said...

I haven't been to the Cali Baguette Express in Mira Mesa for a while. Wonder if they have one of those piggy banks? Yes yes yes, I want one!

Dennis K. said...

Hi Kat, it's pretty fun!

Hi Carol! Hmm, could be. The CBE off of ECB seems to have a particular affinity with nick-nacks, ha. Let me know, and I can always pick one up for you. I already got one for myself, haha!

caninecologne said...

No chimpanzee on a surfboard or Bart Simpson? Cool hamburger piggy banks!!!

Dennis K. said...

Hi CC, haha no, but they had plenty of other stuff. Like Vietnamese tourist hats.

Mary said...

That hamburger bank amuses me. Perhaps the perfect white elephant gift?

Dennis K. said...

Hi Mary! I'd be hard pressed to relinquish mine but for ten-bucks I have to agree. :)